- Construction of Tangent to the Circle from the Point Out Side the Circle
- To construct the tangents to a circle from a point outside it
Construction 11.3 : To construct the tangents to a circle from a point outside it.
Steps of Construction:
1) Draw a circle with centre O.
2) Take a point P outside circle.
3) Join PO. With the help of compass we bisect PO.
4) Let M be the midpoint of PO.
5) Taking M as centre & MO as radius, draw circle.
6) Let it intersect the given circle at Q and R.
7) Join PQ and PR.
8) PQ and PR are required 2 tangents.
Shaalaa.com | Constructions part 3 (Draw tangent to a circle)
Draw tangents to the circle with center ‘C’ and radius 3.6 cm, from a point B at a distance of 7.2 cm from the center of the circle.
Complete the following activity to draw a tangent to a circle at a point on
Draw a circle of radius 2.2 cm with O as centre.
Take any point P on the circle and draw ray OP.
Draw a perpendicular line to the ray at point P.
Name the perpendilcular line as l
l is the tangent at point P.
Draw a circle with centre P and radius 2.1 cm. Take point Q at a distance
5.2 cm from the centre. Draw tangents to the circle from point Q. Measure
and write the length of a tangent segment.
Draw a circle with radius 4.1 cm. Construct tangents to the circle from a point at a distance 7.3 cm from the centre.
Draw a circle with radius 3.4 cm. Draw a chord MN of length 5.7 cm in it. construct tangents at point M and N to the circle.