Read the following extract and answer the questions given below:
To read a lot is essential. It is stupid not to venture outside the examination 'set books' or the textbooks you have chosen for intensive study. Read as many books in English as you can., not as a duty but for pleasure. Do not close the most difficult books you find, with the idea of listing and learning as many new words as possible. choose what is likely to interest you and be sure in advance, that it is not too hard. You should not have to be constantly looking up new words in the dictionary, for that deadens interest and checks real learning. Lookup a word here and there, but as a general policy try to push ahead. guessing what words mean from the context. It is extensive and not intensive reading that normally helps you to get interested in extra reading and thereby improve your English. You should enjoy the feeling which extensive reading gives. As you read, you will become more and more familiar with words and sentence patterns you already know, understanding them better and better as you meet them in more and more contexts, some of which may differ only slightly from others.
Some people say that we cannot learn to speak a language better with the help of a book. To believe that the spoken language and written language are quite different things. This is not so.
(1) What does the author tell us about the importance of reading English?
(2) What different steps are suggested to improve reading?
(3) What do some people say about learning the spoken form of a language?
(4) What will you do to improve your English?
(5) Rewrite the following sentences in the ways instructed:
i. To read a lot is essential.
(Rewrite using gerund form of the words underlined.)
ii. Some people say that we cannot learn to speak a language better with the help of a book.
(Rewrite it using 'be able to'.)
iii. It is extensive.
(Make it a Rhetorical question.)
(6) You should not have to be constantly looking up new words in the dictionary, for that deadens interest and checks real learning.
The underlined word here means:
(ii) deprives of
(B) Write a summary of the above extract with the help of the outline given below and suggest a suitable title.
Read a lot --- outside the textbooks --- for pleasure --- avoid difficult books ---read interesting ones --- avoid dictionary --- guess meanings --- extensive and not intensive reading --- different opinions.
(1) We should not read English as our duty but we should read it for our pleasure. Reading English is important as it not only provides pleasure but also helps to enrich one's vocabulary. It makes one more knowledgeable and develops one's confidence.
(2) The author suggests that one should choose books that are not difficult, secondly the books should be interesting, where vocabulary is easily understood and one does not need to refer to a dictionary too often. As we read we will become more and more familiar with words and sentence patterns we already know. The reader should be able to guess the meanings of words from the context. Finally one should read more and more books extensively.
(3) Some people say that we cannot learn to speak a language better with the help of a book. They believe that spoken language and written language are quite different.
(4) I won't remain afraid to make mistakes. Be confident. People can only correct your mistakes when they hear you make them. Surround yourself in English. Put yourself in an all English speaking environment where you can learn passively. The best way to learn is through speaking. Practice every day. Make yourself a study plan. Decide how much time a week you are going to spend studying and stick to it. Establish a routine.
i. Reading a lot is essential.
ii. Some people say that we are unable to speak a language better with the help of a book.
iii. Isn't it extensive?
(6) Deprives of
Reading is a pleasure.
Reading is not a duty it is a pleasure. We should cultivate the habit of reading. It is essential to read a lot, but what is important is to go beyond the textbooks and to read for pleasure, you must enjoy the books you read, hence it is best to avoid the difficult and uninteresting book. Books must be easy to read, the vocabulary also must be easy to understand so that, you don't need to refer to a dictionary too often. The meanings of words should be evident from the context. It is recommended that you should read extensively in order to improve your English language skills, as the spoken language is not very different from the written language.