shaalaa.com | Angular Momentum and its conservation
- Moment of a Force (Motion of System of Particles and Rigid Body)
- Angular Momentum and Law of Conservation of Angular Momentum and Its Applications
- Moment of force (Torque)
- Angular momentum of a particle
- Torque and angular momentum for a system of particles
- conservation of angular momentum
Find the components along the x, y, z axes of the angular momentum l of a particle, whose position vector is r with components x, y, z and momentum is p with components px, py and 'p_z`. Show that if the particle moves only in the x-y plane the angular momentum has only a z-component.
Two particles, each of mass m and speed v, travel in opposite directions along parallel lines separated by a distance d. Show that the vector angular momentum of the two particle system is the same whatever be the point about which the angular momentum is taken.
Explain why friction is necessary to make the disc in Figure roll in the direction indicated
(a) Give the direction of frictional force at B, and the sense of frictional torque, before perfect rolling begins.
(b) What is the force of friction after perfect rolling begins?