shaalaa.com | Functions of Management
- Planning - Concept and Importance of Planning
- Controlling - Concept and Importance of Controlling
- Coordination - Concept and Importance of Coordination
- Directing - Concept and Importance of Directing
- Organizing - Concept and Importance of Organizing
- Staffing - Concept and Importance of Staffing
Smita had been working as an assistant manager with 'Johnson Enterprises' for the last ten years. She was very popular amongst her colleagues because of her commitment and dedication towards the work. When the manager senior to her retired, all her colleagues thought that now Smita would be promoted. But to everyone's surprise, the vacant post was filled by an outsider, Mrs Rita. Smita felt demoralised and her performance started declining. She would abstain herself often and could not meet her targets
Mrs Rita was a good leader, who would not only instruct her subordinates but would also guide and inspire them. She noticed Smita's behaviour and felt that her performance could be improved. She started involving Smita in decision making-issues related to the organisation and made her a part of a high-level joint-management committee. Smita was now punctual in office and her performance started improving.
1) Identify the function of management being performed by Rita.
2) Name the elements of the above function of management which helped Rita to improve Smita's behaviour
3) State any three features of the element identified in (ii) above