shaalaa.com | Rise of Nationalism in Europe
Series 1: playing of 11
to track your progress
Events and Processes
Rise of Nationalism in Europe
Nationalism vs the Monarchs of Europe
1830 to 1848; Making of Germany and Italy
Symbols of a Nation and Imperialism
Emerging from the Shadow of China : Nationalist Movement Indo China
The Dilemma of Colonial Education :Nationalist Movement IndoChina
Hygiene, Religion and Anti-colonialism : Nationalist Movement Indo China
Modernization, Ho Chi Minh, US War : Nationalist Movement Indo China
Nationalism in India part 1
Nationalism in India part 2
Nationalism in India part 3
1. The Rise of Nationalism in Europe:
- The growth of nationalism in Europe after the 1830s.
- The ideas of Giuseppe Mazzini, etc.
- General characteristics of the movements in Poland, Hungary, Italy, Germany and Greece.
2. The Nationalist Movement in Indo - China: Factors Leading to Growth of Nationalism in Indo-China
- French colonialism in Indo-China.
- Phases of struggle against the French.
- The ideas of Phan Dinh Phung, Phan Boi Chau, Nguyen Ac Quoc
- The second world war and the liberation struggle.
- America and the second Indo-China war.
3. Nationalism in India:
- First world war, Khilafat, Non-Cooperation and Civil Disobedience Movement.
- Salt Satyagraha.
- Movements of peasants, workers, tribals.
- Activities of different political groups.
- The theme will discuss the forms in which nationalism developed along with the formation of nation states in Europe in the post 1830 period.
- Discuss the relationship/difference between European nationalism and anti-colonial nationalisms.
- Point to the way the idea of the nation states became generalized in Europe and elsewhere.
- Discuss the difference between French colonialism in Indo-China and British colonialism in India.
- Outline the different stages of the anti- imperialist struggle in Indo-China.
- Familiarize the students with the differences between nationalist movements in Indo China and India.
- Discuss the characteristics of Indian nationalism through a case study of Civil Disobedience Movement.
- Analyze the nature of the diverse social movements of the time.
- Familiarize students with the writings and ideals of different political groups and individuals, notably Mahatama Gandhi.