Chapter 1: MY MOTHER AT SIXTY-SIX
Chapter 2: LOST SPRING
Chapter 2: AN ELEMENTARY SCHOOL CLASSROOM IN A SLUM
Chapter 3: DEEP WATER
Chapter 3: KEEPING QUIET
Chapter 4: THE RATTRAP
Chapter 4: A THING OF BEAUTY
Chapter 5: INDIGO
Chapter 5: A ROADSIDE STAND
Chapter 6: POETS AND PANCAKES
Chapter 6: AUNT JENNIFER’S TIGERS
Chapter 7: THE INTERVIEW
Chapter 8: GOING PLACES
Chapter 8: GOING PLACES
NCERT solutions for Textbook for Class 12 English Flamingo Chapter 8 GOING PLACES Exercise [Page 77]
Notice these expressions in the text. Infer their meanings from the context.
1. incongruity 5. arcade
2. prodigy 6. amber glow
3. chuffed 7. wharf
4. solitary elm 8. pangs of doubt
NCERT solutions for Textbook for Class 12 English Flamingo Chapter 8 GOING PLACES Exercise Think as you read [Pages 79 - 85]
Where was it most likely that the two girls would find work after school?
What were the options that Sophie was dreaming of? Why does Jansie discourage her to have such dreams?
Why did Sophie wriggle when Geoff told her father that she had met Danny Casey?
Did Geoff believe what Sophie says about her meeting with Danny Casey?
Does her father believe her story?
How does Sophie include her brother Geoff in her fantasy of future?
Which country did Danny Casey play for?
Why didn’t Sophie want Jansie to know about her story with Danny?
Did Sophie really meet Danny Casey?
Which was the only occasion when she got to see Danny Casey in person?
NCERT solutions for Textbook for Class 12 English Flamingo Chapter 8 GOING PLACES Exercise Understanding the text [Page 85]
Sophie and Jansie were class-mates and friends. What were the differences between them that show up in the story?
How would you describe the character and temperament of Sophie’s father?
Why did Sophie like her brother Geoff more than any other person? From her perspective, what did he symbolise?
What socio-economic background does Sophie belong to? What are the indicators of her family’s financial status?
NCERT solutions for Textbook for Class 12 English Flamingo Chapter 8 GOING PLACES Exercise Talking about the text [Page 85]
Discuss in pairs
1. Sophie’s dreams and disappointments are all in her mind.
2. It is natural for teenagers to have unrealistic dreams. What would you say are the benefits and disadvantages of such fantasising?
NCERT solutions for Textbook for Class 12 English Flamingo Chapter 8 GOING PLACES Exercise Working with words [Page 86]
Notice the following expressions. The highlighted words are not used in a literal sense. Explain what they mean.
1. Words had to be prized out of him like stones out of a ground.
2. Sophie felt a tightening in her throat.
3. If he keeps his head on his shoulders.
4. On Saturday they made their weekly pilgrimage to the United.
5. She saw… him ghost past the lumbering defenders.
NCERT solutions for Textbook for Class 12 English Flamingo Chapter 8 GOING PLACES Exercise Noticing form [Page 86]
Notice the highlighted words in the following sentences.
1. “When I leave,’ Sophie said, coming home from school, “I’m going to have a boutique.”
2. Jansie, linking arms with her along the street, looked doubtful.
3. “I’ll find it,” Sophie said, staring far down the street.
4. Jansie, knowing they were both earmarked for the biscuit factory, became melancholy.
5. And she turned in through the open street door leaving Jansie standing in the rain.
– When we add “ing” to a verb we get the present participle form. The present participle form is generally used along with forms of “be’, (is, was, are, were, am) to indicate the continuous tense as in “Sophie was coming home from school.”
– We can use the present participle by itself without the helping verb, when we wish to indicate that an action is happening at the same time as another.
– In example 1, Sophie “said” something. “Said”, here, is the main action.
– What Sophie was doing while she was “saying” is indicated by “coming home from school”. So we get the information of two actions happening at the same time. We convey the information in one sentence instead of two.
I. Analyse the other examples in the same way.
II. Pick out five other sentences from the story in which present participles are used in this sense.
NCERT solutions for Textbook for Class 12 English Flamingo Chapter 8 GOING PLACES Exercise Thinking About Language [Page 87]
Notice these words in the story.
• “chuffed”, meaning delighted or very pleased
• “nosey”, meaning inquisitive
• “gawky”, meaning awkward, ungainly
These are words that are used in an informal way in colloquial speech.
Make a list of ten other words of this kind.
NCERT solutions for Textbook for Class 12 English Flamingo Chapter 8 GOING PLACES Exercise Things to do [Page 87]
Look for stories or movies where this theme of hero worship and fantasising about film or sports icons finds a place.
NCERT solutions for Textbook for Class 12 English Flamingo Chapter 8 GOING PLACES Exercise Writing [Page 87]
- Think of a person who you would like to have as a role model.
- Write down the points to be discussed or questions to be asked, if you were asked to interview that person on a television show.
Chapter 8: GOING PLACES
NCERT solutions for Textbook for Class 12 English Flamingo chapter 8 - GOING PLACES
NCERT solutions for Textbook for Class 12 English Flamingo chapter 8 (GOING PLACES) include all questions with solution and detail explanation. This will clear students doubts about any question and improve application skills while preparing for board exams. The detailed, step-by-step solutions will help you understand the concepts better and clear your confusions, if any. Shaalaa.com has the CBSE Textbook for Class 12 English Flamingo solutions in a manner that help students grasp basic concepts better and faster.
Further, we at Shaalaa.com provide such solutions so that students can prepare for written exams. NCERT textbook solutions can be a core help for self-study and acts as a perfect self-help guidance for students.
Concepts covered in Textbook for Class 12 English Flamingo chapter 8 GOING PLACES are Reading Skill (Textual), Writing Skill, Reading Skill (Non-textual).
Using NCERT Class 12 solutions GOING PLACES exercise by students are an easy way to prepare for the exams, as they involve solutions arranged chapter-wise also page wise. The questions involved in NCERT Solutions are important questions that can be asked in the final exam. Maximum students of CBSE Class 12 prefer NCERT Textbook Solutions to score more in exam.
Get the free view of chapter 8 GOING PLACES Class 12 extra questions for Textbook for Class 12 English Flamingo and can use Shaalaa.com to keep it handy for your exam preparation