CBCGS [2018 - current]
CBGS [2014 - 2017]
Old [2000 - 2013]
University of Mumbai Semester 6 (TE Third Year) Utilization of Electrical Energy Revised Syllabus
University of Mumbai Semester 6 (TE Third Year) Utilization of Electrical Energy and their Unit wise marks distribution
Units and Topics
100 Systems of Traction
- Diesel Traction, Electric Traction, Various systems of Track Electrification like DC, single phase, Three phase & Composite system. Train Movement & Energy Consumption-Typical Speed /Time Curves, Mechanics of Train Movement, Power & Energy output from the driving axles, Specific Energy consumption, Factors affecting Specific Energy consumption, Dead weight, Accelerating weight and Adhesive weight.
200 Electric Traction Motors and Control
- Suitability of DC/AC motors for traction purpose, Starting & speed control by using rheostat method, series parallel method, Thyristor control method. Power supply for electric traction - Current collection systems and related overhead equipment, substations - location & Distribution System, substation equipment, Traction SCADA & Signaling.
300 Illumination Engineering
- Basic terms in lighting systems, Laws of illumination, Polar curves, Photometry, Measurement of illumination, sources of light, study of different types of lamps ,types of luminaires , various factors related to luminaire selection, their control, and their features .
- Types of lighting systems, Recommended Illuminance levels for various tasks/activities/ locations.
400 Electric Vehicle (EV) and Hybrid Electric Vehicles (HEV)
- Architectures of hybrid EV/HEV power system, Energy Sources for EV /HEV applications, Type of motors used in EV/HEV and their comparison.
500 Other Applications of Electrical Energy
- Terminology, Refrigeration cycle, Vapor compression type, vapor absorption type, Electrical circuit of a Refrigerator, Room Air conditioner window type & split type.
600 Electric Heating and Welding
- Basic working principle of Arc furnace, Induction furnace, Power supply requirement for furnaces, Electric welding equipment & power supply requirements.