CBCGS [2017 - current]
CBGS [2013 - 2016]
Old [2000 - 2012]
Topics with syllabus and resources
- Classification of fluids
- Rheological behavior of fluids & Newton’s Law of viscosity.
- Effect of temperature & pressure on viscosity of fluids.
200.00 Fluid Statics
- Pascal's law
- Hydrostatic equilibrium
- Barometric equation and pressure measurement (problems)
300.00 Fluid Dynamics
- Continuity Equation
- Equation of motion
- Euler's equation of motion
- Bernoulli’s equation(problems)
- Bernoulli's equation for compressible fluids (isothermal and adiabatic process)
- concept of Reynold's number
- Laminar flow in pipes
- Turbulent flow in pipes
- velocity and shear stress distribution across pipe
- Boundary layer formation and seperation of boundary layer.
400.00 Flow of Incompressible Fluids
- Relationship between skin friction and wall shear
- Fanning friction fractor
- friction factor law for smooth pipes
- Form friction
- effect of roughness
- energy relationships
- pipe fittings
- major and minor losses in pipe flow.
500.00 Flow Measurements
- Venturimeter, Orificemeter, Pitot tube, Rotameter.
- Reciprocating pumps, Rotary pumps, centrifugal pumps (Characteristics,NPSH,Cavitation) and blowers.
700.00 Particle Size Distribution
- Importance of particle size in reactions
- particle size, shape and mass distributions,measurement and analysis
- concept of average diameter.
- Screening equipment, capacity and effectiveness of screen
- effect of mesh size on capacity of screen.
- Particle size analysis:- mean diameter, derived diameter.
- Sieving -cumulative method and differential method.
900.00 Transportation and Storage of Solids
- Studies performance and operation of different conveyor systems like Belt, Screw, Apron, Flight, pneumatic conveyor and elevators;
- Storage of solids and discharge pattern from storage bin.
1000.00 Size Reduction
- Factors affecting size reduction, comminution laws : Kick’s law, Rittinger’s law and Bond’s law and their limitations.
- Crushing efficiency & power consumption
1100.00 Size Reduction Equipments
- Grinder - Construction and operation of Hammer mill, Ball mill
- Ultrafine grinder - Fluid energy mill
- Cutting machines: knife cutters,
1200.00 Separation Based on Particle Mechanics Through Liquids
- Free settling and Hinderd settling
- Stoke’s law & Newton’s law regimes of settling.
- Clarifiers and thickeners, flocculation, batch sedimentation (Kynch theory), rate of sedimentation
- Theory and principle of solid liquid filtration, cake filters
- Discontinuous pressure filter:- principle and working of filter press.
1400.00 Mixing and Agitation
- Principles of agitation
- agitation equipment
- Solid solid mixing equipment
- Mixing effectiveness and Mixing index. Flow patterns in Agitated vessels,Impellers,Types of impellers,power consumption of Impellers.