CBCGS [2019 - current]
CBGS [2015 - 2018]
Old [2000 - 2014]
Topics with syllabus and resources
100.00 Module 1
101.00 Introduction to Tribology
- Introduction to Tribology,
- Tribology in design,
- Tribology in industry,
- economic aspects of Tribology,
- lubrication, basic modes of lubrication,
- lubricants, properties of lubricants-physical and chemical,
- types of additives,
- extreme pressure lubricants,
- recycling of used oils and oil conservation,
- disposal of scrap oil, oil emulsion.
- Types of sliding contact bearings,
- comparison of sliding and rolling contact bearings
200.00 Module 2
201.00 Friction and Wear
- Friction: Introduction, laws of friction,
- kinds of friction, causes of friction,
- friction measurement,
- theories of friction,
- effect of surface preparation.
- Wear: Types of wear, various factors affecting wear,
- measurement of wear,
- wear between solids and liquids,
- theories of wear.
300.00 Module 3
301.00 Hydrodynamic Lubrication
- Theory of hydrodynamic lubrication,
- mechanism of pressure development in oil film,
- two-dimensional Reynold„s equation,
- infinitely long journal bearing,
- infinitely short journal bearing,
- finite bearing Hydrodynamic thrust bearing: Introduction,
- flat plate thrust bearing,
- pressure equation,
- load, center of pressure,
- friction in tilting pad thrust bearing.
400.00 Module 4
401.00 Hydrostatic Lubrication
- Hydrostatic lubrication: Basic concept, advantages and limitations,
- viscous flow through rectangular slot,
- load carrying capacity and flow requirement of hydrostatic step bearing,
- energy losses, optimum design of step bearing.
- Compensators and their actions.
- Squeeze film lubrication: Introduction,
- circular and rectangular plates approaching a plane
500.00 Module 5
501.00 Elasto-hydrodynamic Lubrication and Gas Lubrication
- Elastohydrodynamic Lubrication: Principle and application,
- pressureviscosity term in Reynolds equation,
- Hertz theory.
- Ertel- Grubin Equation Gas lubrication: Introduction,
- merits and demerits, applications.
- Lubrication in metal working: Rolling, forging, drawing and extrusion.
- Bearing materials, bearing constructions, oil seals, shields and gaskets
600.00 Module 6
601.00 Surface Engineering
- Introduction to surface engineering,
- concept and scope of surface engineering,
- manufacturing of surface layers,
- solid surface geometrical,
- mechanical and physic chemical concepts,
- superficial -layer,
- development of concept,
- structure of superficial layer,
- general characteristics of superficial layer,
- obtained by machining,
- strengthening and weakening of superficial layer
Question Papers For All Subjects
- CAD CAM CAE 2011 to 2018