CBCGS [2018 - current]
CBGS [2014 - 2017]
Old [2000 - 2013]
Topics with syllabus and resources
100.00 Highway Planning
- Classification of roads, brief history of road developments in India, present status of roads in India
- Highway alignment, basic requirement of ideal alignment, factors governing highway alignment
- Highway location survey, map study, reconnaissance, topographic surveys, highway alignment in hilly area, drawing, report preparation
200.00 Geometric Design of Highway
- Terrain classification, vehicular characteristics, highway cross section elements, salient dimensions, clearances, width of carriage way, shoulders, medians, width of road way, right of way, camber & its profile.(IRC Standards)
- Design speed, sight distance, perception time, break reaction time, analysis of safe sight distance, analysis of overtaking sight distance, intersection sight distance
- Horizontal curves: design of super elevation, its provisions, minimum radius of horizontal curves, widening of pavement, transition curves.
- Gradients: different types, maximum, minimum, ruling, exceptional, grade compensation in curves, vertical curves: design factors, comfort sight distance. Summit curve, valley curve.
- Introduction of geometric design software
300.00 Pavement Materials
- Subgrade materials: desirable properties, modulus of elasticity, modulus of subgrade reaction, classification of subgrade soils, importance of CBR
- Subbase material: desirable properties, different tests on aggregate, requirement of aggregate for different types of pavements.
- Bituminous materials: types of bituminous materials, test on bituminous materials, desirable properties, grade of bitumen
400.00 Pavement Design
- Types of pavements, different method of pavement design, comparison of flexible & rigid pavements, design wheel load, equivalent single wheel load, equivalent wheel load factor,
- Flexible pavement design: GI method, IRC approach (IRC:37--1970; IRC:37- 1984; IRC: 37- 2001), Burmister’s layers theory, introduction to AASHTO method.
- Stress in Rigid Pavements, critical load position, stress due to load, stress due to temperature variation, combine loading temperature stress.; Design of rigid pavements (IRC: 58- 1988; IRC: SP- 62-2004)
- Introduction to pavement design software, relationship between numbers of cumulative axle, strain value, elastic modulus of materials.
500.00 Highway Construction
- Modern equipment for road construction, construction of different types of roads: water bound macadam (WBM) road, different types of bituminous pavements, cement concrete pavement.(As per IRC MORTH specifications)
- Constructions of stabilized roads: different method of soil stabilization, use of geo-textile geogrid in highway subgrade.
600.00 Highway Maintenance Rehabilitation
- Pavement failure: flexible pavement failure, rigid pavement failure, maintenance of different types of pavements.
- Evaluation of pavements: structural evaluation of pavements, functional evaluation of pavement,
- Strengthening of existing pavement: objective of strengthening, types of overlay, different types of overlay, overlay design methodologieseffective thickness approach, deflection approach and mechanisticempirical approach, design of overlays using effective thickness approach and deflection approach resorting to Benkeleman Beam method (IRC: 81-1981; IRC: 81-1997)
700.00 Traffic Engineering and Control
- Traffic study and surveys: speed studies, presentation of data, journey, time delay studies, use of various methods, merits, demerits
- Vehicular volume count: types, various available methods, planning of traffic count.
- O- D survey, need , uses, various available methods
- Parking survey, need types, traffic sign marking, signals, miscellaneous traffic control aids, traffic regulations, traffic signals.
- Intersection types: at grade separation, factors influencing design.
- Introduction to traffic design related software’s
800.00 Highway Drainage
- necessity, surface drainage, subsurface drainage.( IRC recommendations) necessity, surface drainage, subsurface drainage.( IRC recommendations)