Topics with syllabus and resources
- Definition of Quality, principles and dimensions of TQM.
- Quality in manufacturing and service segments.
- Approach in implementation of TQM, barriers in implementation.
- Cost of quality – prevention, appraisal and failure costs, hidden costs, trade-off between quality and cost.
- Planning for quality:- Need for quality policies and objectives. Significance of top management commitment, strategic planning for quality.
- Quality improvement:- Management of controllable defects, operator controllable defects, sporadic and chronic problems of quality, Pareto’s principle.
- Bench marking:- Definition and significance, data collection for bench marking and its use.
- Customers, user and consumers, product awareness, types of customers, customer perception and expectations.
- Quality feedback and redressal.
- Basic principles of reliability:- quality and reliability, product life cycle, trade-off between maintainability.
- Vendor as a partner, vendor selection, vendor evaluation.
- PushPull view of supply chain and cycle view of chain management.
- Histograms, Pie charts, Scatter diagrams, Cause and effect diagram.
- Statistical Process Control:-
- Process variability:- Variables and process variation, measures of accuracy and centring, precision or spread, normal distribution.
- Process Control:- Control charts for variables (X¯-chart, Rchart, σ-chart) and attributes (np-charts, p-chart, c-charts, Ucharts).
- Process capability:- OC curve, acceptance sampling, single and double sampling – producer’s and consumer’s risk.
1. Quality standards:-
- ISO 9001:2000 Quality management system.
- ISO 14001:2004 Environmental management system.
- ISO 27001:2005 Information security management system.
2. Quality assurance:- Nature of assurance, reports on quality, measuring performance, internal audit, surveillance audit, quality certification methodology and implications.
3. Productivity improvement Tools/ Approaches/ Techniques:- Principles of Six-Sigma, approaches like JIT, Lean manufacturing zero defect concept, KANBAN, QFD, FMEA, Basics of DOE and Shainin concepts of quality.
4. Productivity improvement techniques like 5S, POKAYOKE, SMED, KAIZEN and Concurrent Engineering.