CBCGS [2017 - current]
CBGS [2013 - 2016]
Old [2000 - 2012]
Topics with syllabus and resources
100.00 Module 1
101.00 Kinetics of Rigid Bodies
- Mass M.I. about centroidal axis and about any other axis.
- Radius of Gyration.
- D’Alemberts Principle of Bodies under rotational motion about a fixed axis and plane motion.
- Application of motion of bars, Cylinders and spheres only.
- Kinetics of Rigid Bodies: Work and Energy.
- Kinetic energy in translating motion, Rotation about fixed axis and in general plane motion, Work Energy Principle and Conservation of Energy.
102.00 Basic Kinematics
- Kinematic link,
- Types of links,
- Kinematic pair,
- Types of constrained motions,
- Types of Kinematic pairs,
- Kinematic chain,
- Types of joints,
- Mechanism, Machine,
- Degree of freedom (Mobility),
- Grubler’s criterion.
- Four bar chain and its inversions,
- Grashoff’s law,
- Slider crank chain and its inversions,
- Double slider crank chain and its inversions.
200.00 Module 2
201.00 Special Mechanisms
- Straight line generating Mechanisms: Exact Straight Line Generating Mechanisms – Peaucellier’s and Hart’s Approximate Straight Line Generating Mechanisms – Watt’s, Grasshopper and Tchebicheff’s.
- Offset slider crank mechanisms, Pantograph. Hook joint- single and double
- Steering gear mechanisms – Ackerman, Davis
300.00 Module 3
301.00 Velocity Analysis of Mechanisms (Mechanisms up to 6 Links)
- Velocity analysis by instantaneous center of rotation method (Graphical approach)
- Velocity analysis by relative velocity method (Graphical approach) Analysis is extended to find rubbing velocities at joints, mechanical advantage (Graphical approach).
- Velocity analysis of low degree complexity mechanisms (Graphical approach). Auxiliary point method
302.00 Velocity and Acceleration Analysis of Mechanism
- Velocity and Acceleration – analysis by relative method (mechanisms up to 6 link) including pairs involving Coriolis acceleration (Graphical Approach).
400.00 Module 4 Cam Mechanisms
401.00 Cam and Its Classifications
402.00 Followers and Its Classification
403.00 Motion Analysis and Plotting
- Motion analysis and plotting of displacement-time, velocity-time, acceleration- time, jerk-time graphs for uniform velocity.
- UARM, SHM and Cycloid motions (combined motions during one stroke excluded).
404.00 Motion Analysis of Simple Cams
- R-R cam, D-R-R and D-R-D-R cam operating radial translating follower.
405.00 Pressure Angle and Method to Control Pressure Angle
406.00 Layout of Cam Profiles
500.00 Module 5 Flexible Connectors
501.00 Belt – Types of Belts
- Belt – Types of belts, velocity ratio, slip & creep, length of belt for open & cross system. Law of belting, Dynamic analysis- driving tensions, centrifugal tension, initial tension, condition of maximum power transmission
502.00 Chains – Types of Chains
- Chains – types of chains, chordal action, variation in velocity ratio, Length of chain
600.00 Module 6 Gears
601.00 Law of Gearing
- Law of gearing, Involute and Cycloid gear tooth profile, Construction of Involute profile
602.00 Path of Contact
- Path of contact, arc of contact, contact ratio for involutes and cycloidal tooth profile, Interference in involutes gears. Critical Numbers of teeth for interference free motion.Methods to control interference in involutes gears.
603.00 Static Force
- Static force analysis in gears- spur, helical, worm & worm wheel.