CBCGS [2017 - current]
CBGS [2013 - 2016]
Old [2000 - 2012]
Topics with syllabus and resources
100.00 Module 1
101.00 Moment of Inertia
- Mass Moment of Inertia ,
- Area Moment Of Inertia,
- Parallel Axis theorem,
- Polar Moment of Inertia,
- Principle axes,
- Principle moment of inertia.
102.00 Stress and Strain
- Definition, Stress- strain,
- uni-axial, bi-axial and tri-axial stresses,
- tensile and compressive stresses,
- shear stress-Elastic limit,
- Hooke’s Law.
103.00 Elastic Constants
- Poission’s Ratio,
- Modulus of elasticity,
- Modulus of rigidity,
- Bulk modulus, Yield stress,
- Ultimate stress.
- Factor of safety,
- state of simple shear,
- relation between elastic constants,
- Volumetric Strain,
- Volumetric strain for tri-axial loading,
- Deformation of tapering members,
- Deformation due to self-weight,
- bars of varying sections,
- composite sections,
104.00 Thermal Stress
200.00 Module 2
201.00 Shear Force and Bending Moment in Beams
- Axial force, shear force and bending moment diagrams for statically determinate beams including beams with internal hinges for different types of loading,
- relationship between rates of loading, shear force & bending moment.
300.00 Module 3
301.00 Stresses in Beams
- Theory of pure Bending, Assumptions,
- Flexural formula for straight beams,
- moment of resistance, bending stress distribution,
- Section moduli for different sections,
- beams for uniform strength, Flitched beams
302.00 Direct and Bending Stresses
- Core of Section,
- Chimneys subjected to wind pressure.
303.00 Shear Stress in Beams
- Distribution of shear stress,
- across plane sections used commonly for structural purposes,
- shear connectors
400.00 Module 4
- Torsion of circular shafts-solid and hollow,
- stresses in shafts when transmitting power,
- shafts in series and parallel
402.00 Strain Energy
- Resilience, proof Resilience,
- strain energy stored in the member due to gradually applies load,
- suddenly applied load, impact load.
- Strain energy stored due to Shear,
- Bending and Torsion.
500.00 Module 5
501.00 Deflection of Beams
- Deflection of Cantilever,
- simply supported and over hanging beams using double integration and Macaulay’s Method for different type of loadings.
502.00 Thin Cylindrical and Spherical Shells
- Cylinders and Spheres due to internal pressure.
- Cylindrical Shell with hemi spherical End.
600.00 Module 6
601.00 Columns and Struts
- Buckling load,
- Types of end conditions for column,
- Euler’s column theory and its limitations,
- Rankine- Gordon Formula