CBCGS [2017 - current]
CBGS [2013 - 2016]
Old [2000 - 2012]
University of Mumbai Semester 4 (SE Second Year) Signals and Systems Revised Syllabus
University of Mumbai Semester 4 (SE Second Year) Signals and Systems and their Unit wise marks distribution
Units and Topics
100 Introduction to Signals and Systems
- Definition of signals and systems
- Communication and control systems as examples
- Classification of signals: Continuous time and discrete time, even, odd, periodic and non periodic, deterministic and non deterministic, energy and power.
- Operations on signals: Amplitude scaling, addition, multiplication, differentiation, integration (accumulator for DT), time scaling, time shifting and folding, precedence rule.
- Elementary signals: exponential, sine, step, impulse and its properties, ramp, rectangular, triangular, signum, sinc functions.
- Systems: Definition, Classification: linear and non linear, time variant and invariant, causal and noncausal, static and dynamic, stable and unstable, invertible.
200 System Analysis
- System modeling: Input output relation, impulse response, block diagram, integro-differential equation.
- Definition of impulse response
- Convolution integral
- Convolution sum
- Computation of convolution integral using graphical method and analytical method.
- Properties of convolution
- System interconnection
- System properties in terms of impulse response
- Step response in terms of impulse response.
300 Fourier Analysis of Continuous Time Signals
- Orthogonal functions
- Representation of signals in terms of weighted orthogonal basis functions
- Coefficient calculation on the basis of minimum square error.
- Fourier series: Representation of Fourier series in terms of sine, cosine, exponential functions.
- The complex Fourier spectrum, Properties of Fourier series, Power Density Spectrum.
- Convergence of Fourier series
- Gibbs phenomenon
- Fourier transform and its properties.
- Fourier transform of singular functions.
- Energy density spectrum.
400 Module 4
401 Fourier Series of Discrete Time Signal
- Harmonically related complex exponential
- Determination of discrete time Fourier series – Properties
- Discrete time Fourier transform – Properties
- Fourier Transform of periodic signals
500 Module 5
501 Laplace Transform
- Double sided Laplace transforms.
- Region of Convergence, properties, Unilateral Laplace Transform, properties, applications of Laplace transform to the solution of differential equations.
- Relationship between Laplace and Fourier transform.
600 Module 6
- Region of Convergence, properties and inverse of z transform.
- Long division method
- Partial fraction expansion method
- Residue method – one-sided Z-transform –properties – initial value & final value theorem - solution of LCCDE with initial conditions – zero input response and zero state response - system function – poles and zeros – basic concept of BIBO stability.
- Analysis of discrete time systems using Z−transform. Relationship between Laplace and Z transform.
Question Papers For All Subjects
- Applied Mathematics 4 2007 to 2018
- Electronic Circuits and Design -2 2009 to 2012
- Logic Circuits 2009 to 2012
- Electronic Instruments and Control Systems 2009 to 2012
- Transducers in Biomedical Instrumentation 2009 to 2012
- Signals and Systems 2011 to 2012