CBCGS [2017 - current]
CBGS [2013 - 2016]
Old [2000 - 2012]
Units and Topics
100 Module 1
101 Classification, Selection and Application of Machine Tools
- Lathe Machines, Milling Machines, Drilling Machines, Grinding Machines, Broaching machines, Lapping/Honing machines and shaping/ slotting/planning Machines.
- Gear Manufacturing -Gear milling, standard cutters and limitations, gear hobbing, gear shaping, gear shaving and gear grinding processes
200 Module 2
201 Cnc Machines
- Introduction, principles of operation,
- Types – Vertical machining centers and horizontal machining centers,
- major elements, functions,
- applications, controllers,
- open loop and closed loop systems,
- coordinate measuring machines,
- maintenance of CNC machines, G,
- M Codes, Basic CNC programming
300 Module 3
301 Metal Cutting and Tool Engineering
- Features of machining processes, concept of speed and cutting, mechanism of chip formation, concept of shear plane, chip reduction coefficient force analysis.
- Merchants circle of cutting forces, expression for shear plane angle and coefficient of friction in terms of cutting forces and tool angles.
- Merchants theory-original and modified cutting force and power calculation in machining processes, gross power , efficiency of machine tools, effect of various parameters on cutting forces, methods of estimating of cutting forces.
400 Module 4
401 Measurement of Tool Forces and Economics of Metal Cutting
- Different types of dynamometers and their operations.
- Tool life definition, mechanism of tool wear and measurement, preliminary and ultimate feature, factors Influencing tool life such as speed, feed, depth of cut, tool material, cutting fluids etc.
- Machinability, Economics of metal cutting:-parameters affecting machining cost.
- Tool life for minimum cost and for maximum productivity
500 Module 5
501 Surface Finish, Cutting Tool Materials, Coolants
- Surface finish-influence of various parameters cutting tool materials-composition, field of application and manufacture.
- (carbon tool steel, high speed steel, non-ferrous alloys, carbides and ceramics), Selection of grinding wheel and dressing & truing of grinding wheels, coolants –function of coolants, effects on cutting force, tool life and surface finish, Types of coolants, Choice of coolants.
600 Module 6
601 Design of Cutting Tools Or Tool Design
- Tool geometry and definition of principles tool angles of single point cutting tools, Design of single point cutting tools, Form tools, Drills, Milling cutters, Inserted type cutters, Broach tools, Standard inserts and Holders for Turning