CBCGS [2019 - current]
CBGS [2015 - 2018]
Old [2000 - 2014]
Topics with syllabus and resources
100.00 An Overview of Process Engineering
- Process engineering and Chemical Engineering, Basic functions of Process Engineering:- understanding and transferring licensor’s know-how, development of P&ID, equipment selection and specifications, input to other engineering disciplines.
- Activities of Process engineering:- Material and Energy balance, gathering data, establishing design basis, P&I diagram, control strategy, equipment specifications, deciding requirements of interlock shut down arrangement, piping requirement, civil and electrical requirements, acquiring knowledge of codes and standards, statutory requirements, safety study, preparing operating manuals, commissioning, interaction with other engineering disciplines, interaction with external agencies.
200.00 Preliminary Process Selection
- Economic evaluation of process:- fixed and variable costs.
- Analysis of environmental concerns of process:- rules & regulations of pollution control board, handling hazardous materials, etc. Safety analysis of process, Analysis of control structure of process, Flexibility analysis of process
300.00 Selection of Process Steps
- Various types of diagrams to represent the process:- block diagram, process flow diagram(PFD), process and instrumentation diagram (P&ID), utilities line diagram.
- Basic steps in PFD synthesis:- gathering information, representing alternatives, criteria for assessing preliminary design.
- PFD:- objective, way of presentation, essential constituents (equipment symbols, numbers, names, process stream flow lines, utility designation, operating conditions, etc), optional constituents (energy exchange rates, physical properties of streams, etc)
- Way of presenting major equipments in PFD:- vessels, heat exchangers, pumps, compressors, distillation columns, process lines, instruments, Common characteristics of PFD
400.00 Flowsheet Synthesis Based on Design Heuristics
- Input information to the process for flow sheet synthesis:- reactions, side reactions, maximum yield, catalyst deactivation rate, production rate, product purity, raw material, process constraints, plant & site data, cost data, physical properties.
- Level 1 decision in flow sheet synthesis:- batch v/s continuous process (production rates, market forces, operational problems, single unit for multiple operations).
- Level 2 decision in flow sheet synthesis:- input output structure of flow sheet (feed purification, recover or recycle reversible by-products, gas recycle & purge stream, reactants not to recover or recycle, number of output streams).
- Level 3 decision in flow sheet synthesis:- Recycle structure of flow sheet (number of reactor systems, recycle streams, excess reactants, heat effects & equilibrium limitations, reversible by-products, reactor heat effects).
- Level 4 decision in flow sheet synthesis:- separation system for process (phase of reactor effluent and separation system, vapor recovery system (VRS), liquid recovery system (LRS), types of VRS and LRS.
- Level 5 decision in flow sheet synthesis:- heat integration in flow sheet.
- Reactor trains:- options & selection criteria, CSTR, PFR, reactors similar to CSTR, application of different reactor geometries and associated heuristics.
500.00 Mass and Energy Balances Around Major Equipments in Flow Sheet
- Physico-chemical specification of each process stream in flow sheet.
- Detailed mass and energy balance around major equipments in flow sheet using thumb rules:- reactors, mixers, splitters, flash columns, distillation columns, absorption column, stripping column, evaporator, dryer
600.00 Sizing and Costing of Major Equipments in Flow Sheet
- Sizing of equipments using short cut designing methods and design heuristics:- reactors, heat exchangers, distillation columns, pumps, compressors, evaporators.
- Costing of equipments:- evaluation of updated bare module cost of above process equipments using Guthries costing modules.
700.00 Utility Selection for Process
- Plant utilities:- concept, Major types of plant utilities: heating utilities, cooling utilities, compressed air, nitrogen, vacuum, water, electricity.
- Heating utilities and their operating T & P ranges:- steam, pressurized hot water, thermal fluids dowtherm A, E, inorganic salt mixtures, mineral oils, silicon compounds.
- Cooling utilities and their operating T & P ranges:- cooling tower water, chilled water, chilled brine system. Utility Hookups. Evaluating minimum utility requirement for process using pinch analysis
800.00 Control Strategy for Process
- To suggest control strategies for various process parameters to be controlled.
- Degree of Freedom analysis for suggested controlled strategy.
- Alternate control strategies for various process parameters
900.00 Safety and Hazard Analysis for Process
- Major types of accidents in chemical industries:- fire, explosion, toxic release.
- Fire:- probability of occurrence, potential for fatalities and economic losses, fuel-oxidants-ignition source for fire to occur, fire triangle, types of fire.
- Explosion:- probability of occurrence, potential for fatalities and economic losses, types of explosion Toxic release: probability of occurrence, potential for fatalities and economic losses, entry route-entry organ-method of control, various models to analyse toxic release.
- Multiple Redundancy System:- Risk assessment and its different methods – event tree analysis, fault tree analysis, quantitative risk analysis, layer of protection analysis, HAZOP
1000.00 Basic Chemical Processes
- Common Features and Preliminary Process System (PPS) for Basic Chemical Processes:- Nitration, Chlorination, Oxidation, Sulfonation, Liquid Phase Catalytic Reduction