CBCGS [2019 - current]
CBGS [2015 - 2018]
Old [2000 - 2014]
Topics with syllabus and resources
100.00 Introduction to Process Control
- Typical Control Problems, A Blending Process Example, Control Strategies, Hierarchy of Control Activities, An Overview of Control System Design.
200.00 Dynamic Models of Processes
- The Rationale for Dynamic Process Models, General Modelling Principles, Degrees of Freedom Analysis, Typical Dynamic Models.
300.00 Transfer Function Models
- Transfer Functions of Typical Systems, First and Second Order Systems, Properties of Transfer Functions, Transfer Functions of Systems in Series, Time Delay Processes, Linearisation of Non-linear Systems, State Space and Transfer Function Matrix Models.
400.00 Dynamic Behaviour of Processes
- Standard Process inputs, Response of First Order Processes, Response of Second Order Processes, Response of Integrating Processes.
500.00 Development of Empirical Models from Process Data
- Fitting First and Second Order Models Using Step Tests, Development of Discrete Time Dynamic Models, Identifying Discrete Time Models From Experimental Data.
600.00 Feedback and Feedforward Control
- Basic Control Modes, Features of PID and On-off Control, Conntrol Valve Characteristics, Response of Feedback Control Systems, Digital Verions of PID Controllers.
700.00 Closed-loop Response and Stability
- Closed-Loop Transfer Functions, Closed-Loop Response, Stability, Root Locus.
800.00 Controller Design and Tuning
- Performance Criteria, Model-Based Design Methods, Controller Tuning, Controllers with Two Degrees of Freedom, OnLine Tuning.
900.00 Control Strategies
- Degrees of Freedom Analysis, Selection of Variables, Typical Applications.
1000.00 Frequency Response
- Frequency Response of Typical Systems, Bode Stability Criterion, Nyquist Stability Criterion, Gain and Phase Margins.