CBCGS [2017 - current]
CBGS [2013 - 2016]
Old [2000 - 2012]
Topics with syllabus and resources
100.00 Units and Dimensions
- Systems of units
- fundamental and derived units
- unit conversions
- dimensional homogeneity and dimensional analysisproblems.
- Conversion of units
200.00 Chemical Arithmetic
- Mole concept
- atomic weight
- molecular weight and equivalent weight - methods of determination.
300.00 Chemical Composition
- Methods of expressing compositions of mixtures and solutions-
- mole percent
- mass percent
- volume percent
- normality etc.
400.00 P-V-T Behaviour of Pure Liquids
- Gas laws, real and ideal gases, equation of state, critical properties, properties of gas
- Dalton’s laws, Amagat’s law-Average molecular weight and densityproblems.
600.00 Biochemical Stoichiometry
- Limiting and excess reactants- conversion, degree of completion, selectivity, yield problems.
700.00 Fundamentals of Material Balances
- Law of conservation of mass
- Types of material balances
- material balance with recycle bypass and purge streams
800.00 Material Balance for Process Involving Chemical Reaction
- Material Balance for process involving chemical reaction, Calculations using Psychrometric chart;
- Humidity and saturation
900.00 Fundamentals of Energy Balances
- Law of conservation of energy,
- Heat capacity, sensible heat,
- latent heat, calculation of enthalpy changes.
- General energy balance equation;
- Energy balance calculations with and without reactions,
- Energy balance for fermentation and downstream processingproblems.
1000.00 Stoichiometry of Microbial Growth and Product Formation
- Growth Stoichiometry and elemental balances,
- Respiratory quotient,
- Degree of reduction,
- Yield and maintenance coefficients,
- Oxygen consumption in aerobic microbial cultures.
- Theoretical Oxygen demand- problems.
1100.00 Biochemical Energetics
- Metabolic reaction coupling, energetics of metabolic processes (respiration and biosynthesis)
- Transport across cell membranes,
- Thermodynamics of microbial growth,
- Heat generation in microbial cultures problems.