Topics with syllabus and resources
- Introduction to synchronous machine, basic construction and operation and equivalent circuit diagram , short circuit of synchronous machine: no load and loaded machine, transient on a transmission line, selection of Circuit breaker, short circuit MVA, algorithm for SC studies, Z Bus formulation, symmetrical fault analysis using Z bus (numerical on Z bus formulation upto 3x3 matrix).
- Symmetrical component transformation, phase shift in star-delta transformers, sequence impedances and sequence network of transmission line, synchronous machine and transformer, power invariance, construction of sequence network of a power system.
- Fault analysis of unsymmetrical faults, single line to ground (SLG) fault, line to line (L-L) fault, double line to ground (LLG) fault, open conductor faults, bus impedance matrix method for analysis of unsymmetrical shunt faults.
- Review of transients in simple circuits, recovery transient due to removal of short circuit, arcing grounds, capacitance switching, current chopping phenomenon.
- Travelling waves on transmission lines, wave equation, reflection and refraction of waves, typical cases of line terminations, attenuation, Bewely lattice diagram.
- Lightning phenomenon, mechanism of Lightning stroke, shape of Lightning voltage wave, over voltages due to Lightning, Lightning protection problem, significance of tower footing resistance in relation to Lightning, insulator flashover and withstand voltages, protection against surges, surge arresters, surge capacitor, surge reactor and surge absorber, Lightning arrestors and protective characteristics, dynamic voltage rise and arrester rating.
- Volt time curve, over voltage protection, ground wires, insulation coordination based on lightning, surge protection of rotating machines and transformers.
- Phenomenon of corona, Disruptive critical voltage, Visual critical voltage, corona loss, factors affecting corona loss, Radio interference due to corona, practical considerations of corona loss, corona in bundled conductor lines, corona ring, corona pulses- their generation and properties in EHV lines, charge voltage (q-V) diagram and corona loss.
Electrical Parameters, Fundamental Transmission Line equation, Surge Impedance and Natural Loading, the uncompensated line on Open circuit, the uncompensated line under load- Effect of line length, load power and power factor on voltage and reactive power, Maximum power and stability considerations.
Question Papers For All Subjects
- Electromagnetic Fields and Waves 2007 to 2013
- Electrical Machines 2 2008 to 2013
- Communication Engineering 2010 to 2013
- Power Electronics 2010 to 2013
- Power System Analysis 2010 to 2013
- Environmental Studies 2010 to 2014