CBCGS [2019 - current]
CBGS [2015 - 2018]
Old [2000 - 2014]
Topics with syllabus and resources
- Introduction and Classification of Polymers.
- Thermosets, Factors influencing the polymer properties, Glass Transition Temperature Monomers used for polymer synthesis, Thermoplastics, Linear Branch, Cross Linked Polymers.
- Addition and Condensation Polymerisation:- Mechanism, kinetics, synthesis and reactions.
200.00 Natural Polymers and Polymerization Techniques
201.00 Natural Polymers
- Chemical & Physical structure, properties, source, important chemical modifications, applications of polymers such as cellulose, lignin, starch, rosin, shellac, latexes, vegetable oils and gums, proteins etc.
202.00 Polymerization Techniques
- Bulk polymerization, Solution polymerization, Emulsion polymerization and Suspension polymerization, Interfacial Polymerization with their merits Comparison of the various processes Advantages and disadvantages
300.00 Molecular Weight and Molecular Weight Distribution and Co-polymerization
301.00 Molecular Weight and Molecular Weight Distribution
- Molecular Weights, Polydispersity Index, Different Methods of determination of Molecular weight, Effect of Molecular weight on Engineering Properties of Polymers.
- Basic concept, Technical significance, steady state assumptions in free radical copolymerization, The copolymer equation, Instantaneous molar composition of copolymer formed
- Monomer reactivity ratios
- Significance and method of determination, Types of copolymers.
400.00 Polymerization Reactor
- Polymerization reactors types and mode of operation, Polymerization reactor design, control of polymerization
- Post polymerization unit operations and unit processes Polymer Degradation.
500.00 Polymer Processing
- High Performance and Specialty Polymers, Polymer additives, compounding.
- Fillers plastisizers lubricants colourants UV stabilizers, fire retardants, antioxidants, Different moulding methods of polymers.
- Injection moulding , blow moulding, thermoforming, film blowing etc.
600.00 Manufacturing Processes
- Manufacturing of typical polymers with flow-sheet diagrams properties & application:- PE, PP, PS, Polyesters, Nylons, ABS, PC.
- Manufacturing of thermoset polymers such as Phenolic resins.