CBCGS [2019 - current]
CBGS [2015 - 2018]
Old [2000 - 2014]
Topics with syllabus and resources
100.00 Pavement Structure and Functional Attributes
- Pavement structure and functional attributes,
- factor affecting pavement design,
- types of wheel loads for highways and airports,
- development of design method for highway and airport pavements.
200.00 Stresses in Flexible Pavements
- Stresses in flexible pavements, 1-layer, 2-layer, 3-layers theories, EWLF,ESWL
- Stresses in Rigid pavement: load and temperature stresses, combined stresses.
300.00 Flexible Pavement Design
- Airport pavement: Corps of Engineer’s method, FAA method CDOT method, Asphalt institute method.
- Highway Pavement: Empirical methods using no soil strength criteria, empirical method based on soil strength criteria: CBR method as specified by IRC, Road note 29 methods, AASHTO method, Asphalt institute method.
- Fatigue and rutting as a failure criterion.
400.00 Rigid Pavement Design
- Airport pavements: PCA methods, corps of Engineer’s method, FAA method. Joints and reinforcement requirement.
- Highway pavement: Current British procedure, IRC method.
500.00 Evaluation and Strengthening
- flexible and rigid pavement distresses,
- condition and evaluation surveys,
- present serviceability index,
- roughness measurement,
- Benkaleman beam deflections,
- design of overlays,
- skid resistance and measurement.
600.00 Concrete Road Construction
- Mix design, concrete strength, size of aggregates, gradation, and workability, preparation of base form work, placing of reinforcement, compaction, and finishing, curing, joints.
700.00 Low Cost Roads (Rural Areas)
- Classification of low cost roads,
- construction of low cost roads,
- stabilization of subgrade,
- base and its advantages,
- construction of granular base courses,
- macadam surface,
- macadam bases,
- low cost materials and methods used for highway construction,
- suitability of different types of roads under different situation. Soils.
800.00 Road Making Machinery Role of Labour Versus Machinery in road construction
- earth work machinery,
- rock excavation machinery,
- aggregate transportation and watering equipment,
- wet mix WMM Plant,
- Asphalt plant, (computerized),
- drum mix,
- Continuous batch mix,
- compaction equipment,
- bituminous equipment,
- heating and spraying equipment,
- hot mix plants,
- cold mix plants,
- concrete road making machinery,
- equipment usage rates,
- factors affecting usage rate.
900.00 Quality Control (QC) and Quality Assurance (QA)
- Quality control (QC) and Quality assurance (QA) during construction of various pavements,
- importance, process control and end product control,
- statistical methods in quality control, control charts, frequency of testing etc.
1000.00 Introduction to Pavement Management Systems.