CBCGS [2019 - current]
CBGS [2015 - 2018]
Old [2000 - 2014]
Topics with syllabus and resources
- Traditional energy systems: fossil fuel, firewood, coal;
- Fossil fuel based systems, Impact of fossil fuel based systems;
- Renewable and non-renewable sources of energy;
- Global and national energy crisis, Prospects of renewable energy sources.
200.00 Solar Energy
- Solar energy : solar radiation spectrum, radiation measurements, applications (heating, cooling, drying, distillation);
- flat plate collectors, concentrating collectors, Solar air heaterstypes, solar driers, storage of solar energy-thermal storage, solar pond, solar water heaters, solar distillation, solar still, solar cooker, solar heating & cooling of buildings, photo voltaics - solar cells & its applications
300.00 Wind Energy
- Principle of wind energy conversion;
- Analysis of aerodynamic forces acting on wind mill blades and estimation of power output;
- Wind patterns and wind data;
- Types of wind mills, components of wind mill, site selection.
400.00 Geothermal Energy
- Estimation and nature of geothermal energy, geothermal sources and resources: hydrothermal, geo-pressured hot dry rock, magma;
- Advantages, disadvantages and application of geothermal energy;
- prospects of geothermal energy in India.
500.00 Energy from the Ocean
- Ocean Thermal Electric Conversion (OTEC) systems: open cycle, closed cycle, Hybrid cycle, prospects of OTEC in India.
- Energy from tides, basic principle of tidal power, single basin and double basin tidal power plants, advantages, limitation and scope of tidal energy.
- Wave energy and power from wave, wave energy conversion devices, advantages and disadvantages of wave energy.
600.00 Energy from Biomass
- Biomass conversion principle: combution and fermentation;
- Biogas generation plants: classification, advantages and disadvantages, constructional details, site selection, digester design consideration, filling a digester for starting, maintaining biogas production, Fuel properties of bio gas, utilization of biogas.
- Biodisel: principle, production, efficiency, scope in India.
700.00 Fuel Cells
- Introduction, Design principle, operation of fuel cell, Types of fuel cells, conversion efficiency of fuel cell, application of fuel cells.
- Microbial Fuel cells: Principle, construction, working, efficiency and scope in India.
800.00 Hydrogen Energy
- Introduction, Hydrogen Production methods, Hydrogen storage, hydrogen transportation, utilization of hydrogen gas, hydrogen as alternative fuel for vehicles.
- Nuclear energy: nuclear reactors, fission and fusion reactions; advantages and disadvantages of nuclear energy.
900.00 Magneto Hydrodynamic (MDH) Power Generation
- Principle of MHD power generation, MHD system, Design problems and developments, gas conductivity, materials for MHD generators and future prospects.
1000.00 Energy Management
- Energy economics, energy conservation, energy audit, general concept of total energy system, scope of alternative energy system in India.