CBCGS [2017 - current]
CBGS [2013 - 2016]
Old [2000 - 2012]
Topics with syllabus and resources
100.00 History and Scope of Industrial Microbiology
- Introduction: Discovery of Microbial world
- The experiments of Pasteur; The discovery of Anaerobic Life
- Physiological significance of Fermentation; Pasteur and Fermentation
- The Era of discovery of Antibiotics; Growth of Industrial fermentation
200.00 Classification of Micro Organisms
1. Types and general characteristics of microorganisms:-
- BacteriaArchaebacteria, Actinomycetes, Rickettsia, Mycoplasma, Chlamydia
- Fungi – Molds and yeasts
2. The classification of bacteria Species:-
- The unit of classification,
- New approaches to bacterial taxonomy,
- Bacterial taxonomy the problems of taxonomic arrangements,
- Bacterial phylogeny.
- Aerobic and Anaerobic cultures
300.00 Microbial Pathogenesis
- Epidemiology of infectious diseases, Bacterial, Fungal, Protozoal, Viral Diseases;
- Bacterial invasion and colonization
- Bacterial toxins- types and mode of action
400.00 Microbial Nutrition
- Nutritional requirements of microorganisms
- Different types of media- Synthetic media, complex media Selective media, differential media, enrichment media.
500.00 Microbial Growth
- Introduction: phases of growth
- Growth curve
- Kinetics of growth
- Measurement of growth
- Continuous & batch culture
- Chemostat & turbidostat.
- Effects of solutes ,temperature ,ion concentration, oxygen, hydrostatic pressure ,heavy metal ions, and UV light on microbial growth
600.00 Microbiological Techniques
- Sterilization and disinfection techniques,
- Principles and methods of sterilization.
- Physical methods - autoclave, hot-air oven, pressure cooker, laminar air flow, filter sterilization.
- Radiation methods – UV rays, gamma rays, ultrasonic methods.
- Chemical methods - Use of alcohols, aldehydes, fumigants, phenols, halogens and hypochlorites.
- Phenol coefficient.
- Isolation of pure culture techniques - Enrichment culturing, dilutionplating, streak- plate, spread-plate and micromanipulator.
- Preservation of microbial cultures - sub culturing, overlaying cultures with mineral oils, lyophilization, sand cultures, storage at low temperature.
700.00 Antimicrobial Therapy
- Antimicrobial sensitivity tests.
- Agents used in treating infection:- Antibacterial, antiviral, anti retroviral, antifungal, anti-protozoan & anti helminthes.
- Resistance mechanism
800.00 Water and Soil Microbiology
1. Microbiological analysis of water purity:-
- sanitary tests for coliforms (presumptive test, confirmed test, competed test),
- MPN test,
- defined substrate test,
- IMVIC test.
- soil as a habitat for microorganisms,
- physico chemical properties of soil,
- microbial community in soil,
- role of microorganisms in organic matter decomposition