Topics with syllabus and resources
1 Introduction to Chemical Process Equipment Design
- Introduction to Chemical process Equipment Design
- Nature of process equipment, General design procedure.
- Basic consideration in process equipment design, Standards, codes & their significance, equipment classification & selection, Fundamentals of various stress due to compression, tension, bending, torsion & thermal stresses, Principal stress and theories of failure.
- Concept of hook’s law, material behaviour and poison’s ratio, material of construction for chemical process equipment, Design pressure, Design temperature, design stress & design loads, Significance of factor of safety and economic considerations.
2 Design of Unfired Pressure Vessels
- Type of pressure vessels, code & standard for pressure vessels (IS: 2825:1969), Material of Construction, Selection of corrosion Allowance & weld joint efficiency.
- Thin cylinder theory for internal pressure
2.01 Pressure Vessel Subjected to Internal Pressure
- Complete design of cylindrical pressure vessel as per IS: 2825: 1969
- Study, selection & design of various heads such as Flat, hemispherical, tori-spherical, elliptical & conical.
- Openings/nozzles & manholes etc.
- Flanged joints
- Gasket:- Types, selection & design.
- Bolt design & selection Flange dimensions & optimization for bolt spacing
2.02 Pressure Vessel Subjected to External Pressure
- Design of shell, heads nozzles, flanged joints & stiffening rings as per IS 2825: 1969
- Appendix F by use of charts.
- Analytical approach by elastic bucking & plastic deformation.
3 Storage Vessels
- Study of Various types of storage vessels and application.
- Atmospheric vessels, vessels for storing volatile & non-volatile liquids.
- Storage of gases, Losses in storage vessel.
- Various types of roofs used for storage vessels, Manholes, Nozzles and mounting.
- Design of cylindrical storage vessels as per IS: 803 should include base plates, shell plates ,roof plate and wind girders
- Study of various types of agitators & their application, Baffling, Power requirement of agitators & their applications, system which includes design of shaft based on equivalent twisting moment, equivalent bending moment and critical speed.
- Design of blades & Blade assembly, key & key ways.
- Design of rigid flange coupling, Study of seals and design of stuffing box and gland
5 Reaction Vessels
- Introduction, Classification of reaction vessels, Material of Construction, Heating system, Design of vessel, Study & design of various types of jackets like plain and half coil.
6 Vessel Supports
- Introduction & classification of support.
- Design of skirt Support considering stresses due to dead weight, wind load, Seismic load & period of vibration.
- Design of base plates, skirt bearing plate, anchor bolt and bolting chair.
- Introduction to bracket support.
- Design of saddle supports
7 Equipment Fabrication and Inspection
- Metal forming techniques (bending, Rolling, Forming) & Metal Joining techniques – welding (Gas of Arc & Electric) for various types such as Butt, Lap, fillet, corner.
- Inspection of vessel by radiography