CBCGS [2017 - current]
CBGS [2013 - 2016]
Old [2000 - 2012]
Topics with syllabus and resources
100.00 Module 1
101.00 Classification of Materials
- Metallic materials, Polymeric Materials, Ceramics and Composites: Definition, general properties, applications with examples.
102.00 Lattice Imperfections
- Definition, classification and significance of Imperfections
- Point defects: vacancy, interstitial and impurity atom defects. Their formation and effects.
- Dislocation: Edge and screw dislocations Burger’s vector. Motion of dislocations and their significance.
- Surface defects: Grain boundary, sub- angle grain boundary and stacking faults. Their significance. Generation of dislocation.
- Frank Reed source, conditions of multiplication and significance.
- Definition, elastic and plastic deformation, Mechanism of deformation and its significance in design and shaping, Critical Resolved shear stress.
- Deformation in single crystal and polycrystalline materials Slip systems and deformability of FCC, BCC and HCP lattice stems.
104.00 Strain Hardening
- Definition importance of strain hardening. Dislocation theory of strain hardening, Effect of strain hardening on engineering behaviour of materials.
- Recrystallization Annealing: stages of recrystallization annealing and factors affecting it
200.00 Module 2
201.00 Failure Mechanisms Fracture
- Definition and types of facture,
- Brittle fracture: Griffith’s theory of facture. Orowan’s modification. Dislocation theory of facture.
- Critical stress and crack propagation velocity for brittle fracture.
- Ductile fracture: Notch effect on fracture. Fracture toughness. Ductility transition. Definition and signification.
- Conditions of ductility transition factors affecting it.
202.00 Fatigue Failure
- Definition of fatigue and significance of cyclic stress.
- Mechanism of fatigue and theories of fatigue failure, Fatigue testing.
- Test data presentation and statistical evolution. S-N Curve and its interpretation.
- Influence of important factors on fatigue. Notch effect, surface effect, Effect of pre-stressing, corrosion fatigue, Thermal fatigue.
- Definition and significance of creep.
- Effect of temperature and creep on mechanical behaviors of materials.
- Creep testing and data presentation & analysis.
- Mechanism and types of creep. Analysis of classical creep curve and use of creep rate in designing of products for load bearing applications.
- Creep Resistant materials.
300.00 Module 3
301.00 Theory of Alloys and Alloys Diagrams
- Significance of alloying, Definition, Classification and properties of different types of alloys.
- Different types of Phase diagrams (Isomorphous, Eutectic, Peritectic, Eutectoid, Peritectoid) and their analysis.
- Importance of Iron as engineering material, Allotropic forms of Iron, Influence of carbon in IronCarbon alloying Iron-Iron carbide diagram and its analysis, TTT diagram, Hardenability concepts and tests, Graphitization of Iron- Grey iron, white iron, Nodular and malleable irons.
- Their microstructures, properties and applications
400.00 Module 4
401.00 Heat Treatment Process
- Technology of heat treatment. Classification of heat treatment process.
- Annealing- Principle process, properties and applications of full annealing, Diffusion annealing, process annealing and Cyclic annealing, Normalizing, Hardening heat treatment.
- Tempering, Subzero treatment, Austempering, Martempering, Maraging and Ausforming process.
- Surface hardening: Hardening and surface Hardening methods.
- Their significance and applications. Carburizing, Nitriding, Cyaniding, Carbonitriding, induction hardening and flame hardening processes
500.00 Module 5
501.00 Effect of Alloying Elements in Steels
- Limitation of plain carbon steels. Significance of alloying elements.
- Effects of major and minor constituents, Effect of alloying elements on ferrite, carbide, austenite, Effect of alloying elements on phase transformation Classification of tool steels and metallurgy of tool steels and special steels.
600.00 Module 6
601.00 Introduction to New Materials
- Composites: Basic concepts of composites, Processing of composites, advantages over metallic materials, various types of composites and their applications.
- Nano Materials: Introduction, Concepts, synthesis of nanomaterials, examples, applications and nano composites.
- Polymers: Basic concepts, Processing methods, advantages and disadvantages over metallic materials, examples and applications.
Question Papers For All Subjects
- Applied Mathematics 4 2009 to 2018
- Fluid Mechanics 2010 to 2018
- Theory of Machines 1 2009 to 2018
- Production Process 2 2009 to 2018
- Material Technology 2009 to 2018
- Industrial Electronics 2009 to 2018
- Computational Mathematics 2007 to 2013
- Thermal Engineering 2009 to 2013