University of Mumbai Syllabus For Semester 4 (SE Second Year) Material Technology: Knowing the Syllabus is very important for the students of Semester 4 (SE Second Year). Shaalaa has also provided a list of topics that every student needs to understand.
The University of Mumbai Semester 4 (SE Second Year) Material Technology syllabus for the academic year 2021-2022 is based on the Board's guidelines. Students should read the Semester 4 (SE Second Year) Material Technology Syllabus to learn about the subject's subjects and subtopics.
Students will discover the unit names, chapters under each unit, and subtopics under each chapter in the University of Mumbai Semester 4 (SE Second Year) Material Technology Syllabus pdf 2021-2022. They will also receive a complete practical syllabus for Semester 4 (SE Second Year) Material Technology in addition to this.
University of Mumbai Semester 4 (SE Second Year) Material Technology Revised Syllabus
University of Mumbai Semester 4 (SE Second Year) Material Technology and their Unit wise marks distribution
University of Mumbai Semester 4 (SE Second Year) Material Technology Course Structure 2021-2022 With Marking Scheme
|101||Classification of Materials|
|201||Failure Mechanisms Fracture|
|301||Theory of Alloys and Alloys Diagrams|
|401||Heat Treatment Process|
|501||Effect of Alloying Elements in Steels|
|601||Introduction to New Materials|
- Metallic materials, Polymeric Materials, Ceramics and Composites: Definition, general properties, applications with examples.
- Definition, classification and significance of Imperfections
- Point defects: vacancy, interstitial and impurity atom defects. Their formation and effects.
- Dislocation: Edge and screw dislocations Burger’s vector. Motion of dislocations and their significance.
- Surface defects: Grain boundary, sub- angle grain boundary and stacking faults. Their significance. Generation of dislocation.
- Frank Reed source, conditions of multiplication and significance.
- Definition, elastic and plastic deformation, Mechanism of deformation and its significance in design and shaping, Critical Resolved shear stress.
- Deformation in single crystal and polycrystalline materials Slip systems and deformability of FCC, BCC and HCP lattice stems.
- Definition importance of strain hardening. Dislocation theory of strain hardening, Effect of strain hardening on engineering behaviour of materials.
- Recrystallization Annealing: stages of recrystallization annealing and factors affecting it
- Definition and types of facture,
- Brittle fracture: Griffith’s theory of facture. Orowan’s modification. Dislocation theory of facture.
- Critical stress and crack propagation velocity for brittle fracture.
- Ductile fracture: Notch effect on fracture. Fracture toughness. Ductility transition. Definition and signification.
- Conditions of ductility transition factors affecting it.
- Definition of fatigue and significance of cyclic stress.
- Mechanism of fatigue and theories of fatigue failure, Fatigue testing.
- Test data presentation and statistical evolution. S-N Curve and its interpretation.
- Influence of important factors on fatigue. Notch effect, surface effect, Effect of pre-stressing, corrosion fatigue, Thermal fatigue.
- Definition and significance of creep.
- Effect of temperature and creep on mechanical behaviors of materials.
- Creep testing and data presentation & analysis.
- Mechanism and types of creep. Analysis of classical creep curve and use of creep rate in designing of products for load bearing applications.
- Creep Resistant materials.
- Significance of alloying, Definition, Classification and properties of different types of alloys.
- Different types of Phase diagrams (Isomorphous, Eutectic, Peritectic, Eutectoid, Peritectoid) and their analysis.
- Importance of Iron as engineering material, Allotropic forms of Iron, Influence of carbon in IronCarbon alloying Iron-Iron carbide diagram and its analysis, TTT diagram, Hardenability concepts and tests, Graphitization of Iron- Grey iron, white iron, Nodular and malleable irons.
- Their microstructures, properties and applications
- Technology of heat treatment. Classification of heat treatment process.
- Annealing- Principle process, properties and applications of full annealing, Diffusion annealing, process annealing and Cyclic annealing, Normalizing, Hardening heat treatment.
- Tempering, Subzero treatment, Austempering, Martempering, Maraging and Ausforming process.
- Surface hardening: Hardening and surface Hardening methods.
- Their significance and applications. Carburizing, Nitriding, Cyaniding, Carbonitriding, induction hardening and flame hardening processes
- Limitation of plain carbon steels. Significance of alloying elements.
- Effects of major and minor constituents, Effect of alloying elements on ferrite, carbide, austenite, Effect of alloying elements on phase transformation Classification of tool steels and metallurgy of tool steels and special steels.
- Composites: Basic concepts of composites, Processing of composites, advantages over metallic materials, various types of composites and their applications.
- Nano Materials: Introduction, Concepts, synthesis of nanomaterials, examples, applications and nano composites.
- Polymers: Basic concepts, Processing methods, advantages and disadvantages over metallic materials, examples and applications.