CBCGS [2018 - current]
CBGS [2014 - 2017]
Old [2000 - 2013]
University of Mumbai Semester 5 (TE Third Year) Mass Transfer Operations 1 Revised Syllabus
University of Mumbai Semester 5 (TE Third Year) Mass Transfer Operations 1 and their Unit wise marks distribution
Units and Topics
100 Molecular Diffusion in Gases and Liquid
- Basics of Molecular Diffusion, Fick’s First Law of Molecular Diffusion, Various fluxes and relations between them, Molecular Diffusion in binary gas mixtures – Steady state diffusion of one component in non-diffusing second component, Equimolal counter diffusion of two components.
- Molecular Diffusion in binary liquid solutions – Steady state diffusion of one component in non-diffusing second component, Steady State Equimolal counter diffusion of two components.
- Diffusivity of gases.
- Theoretical and experimental determination of diffusivities, Diffusivities of liquids – Theoretical Determination.
- Diffusion in Solids:- Ficks law of diffusion in solids, Types of Solid Diffusion, Diffusion through Polymers, Diffusion through Crystalline Solids, Diffusion in Porous Solids
200 Mass Transfer Coefficients
- Definition of Mass Transfer Coefficient, F-Type and K-Type Mass Transfer Coefficients and relations between them, Mass Transfer Coefficients in Laminar and Turbulent Flow.
- Heat, Mass and Momentum Transfer Analogies and dimensionless numbers, Interphase Mass Transfer – Individual and Overall Mass Transfer Coefficients and relation between them.
- Methods of contacting two insoluble phases – Continuous Contact, Stage-wise Contact.
300 Equipments for Gas-liquid Contacting
- Classification of equipments for gas-liquid contacting
- Gas dispersed and liquid continuous phase – Sparged Vessels (Bubble Columns), Mechanically Agitated Vessels, Tray Towers.
- Liquid dispersed phase and gas continuous phase – Venturi Scrubbers, Wetted Wall Towers, Spray Towers and Spray Chambers, Packed Towers.
- Comparison of Packed Towers with Tray Towers
400 Gas Absorption
- Solubility of gases in liquids, Effect of temperature and pressure on solubility, Ideal and Non-ideal solutions, Choice of solvent for gas absorption
- Single component gas absorption – Cross Current, Co-current, Countercurrent, Multistage Counter current Operation.
- Absorption with Chemical Reactions.
- Introduction to drying, Equilibrium, Different types of moisture contents, Rate of Drying and drying curve, Batch Drying and calculation of time of drying, Continuous
600 Humidification and Dehumidification
- Introduction, Vapour Pressure Curve, Properties of Vapour-Gas mixtures [Understanding various terms]
- Theory of wet bulb temperature, Adiabatic Saturation Curves, Humidity Charts
- Adiabatic operation:- (Air water systems) water coolers, cooling towers