CBCGS [2018 - current]
CBGS [2014 - 2017]
Old [2000 - 2013]
University of Mumbai Semester 5 (TE Third Year) Genetic Engineering Revised Syllabus
University of Mumbai Semester 5 (TE Third Year) Genetic Engineering and their Unit wise marks distribution
Units and Topics
- Superhelical and relaxed molecules.
- Plasmids in nature
- Fundamentals of Density gradient Centrifugation and Alkaline lysis for Plasmid preparation.
200 Palindromes and Repeat Structures
- Restriction Endonucleases and their action.
- Vectors used for Gene-cloning:-
- Plasmids (e.g pUC type, conjugative, Ti etc.)
- Phages (Lambda and M13 type)
- Cosmids and Phagemids.
300 Cloning Strategies
- Expression and Fusion vectors Stability of plasmids(PAR locus, High copy number etc)
- Library construction (Genomic and C-DNA type)
- Screening for the clone.
400 DNA Transfer into Cells
- Transformation and Transfection
- Membrane Fusion and Electroporation
- Gene-Gun and Micro-injection
500 Enzymes for Recombinant Technology
- Restriction Endonucleases
- DNA polymerases
- Reverse Transcriptase
- Polynucleotide Kinase
- Terminal Transferase
- Alkaline Phosphatase
- DNA Ligase
600 DNA and Protein Analysis
- DNA: Southern and Northern Hybridization.
- PCR Amplification
- DNA Sequence Analysis (e.g Sangers Method)
- Automated Sequencing
- RFLP and RAPD.
- Protein: Western Blotting, ELISA and its variations.
700 Antisense and Rna Interference Technology and Their Applications
- r-DNA in medicine
- e.g. Insulin and Blood clotting factor VIII.
- Use of cell-lines in bio-molecules production.