CBCGS [2017 - current]
CBGS [2013 - 2016]
Old [2000 - 2012]
Topics with syllabus and resources
100.00 Introduction and Basic Concepts
- Scope and Applications of fluid flow
- Properties of fluids such as Density, viscosity, surface tension, capillarity effect, vapor pressure, compressibility factor, Enthalpy, Entropy.
200.00 Pressure and Fluid Statics
- Fluid Pressure at a Point
- Pascal’s Law
- Pressure Variation in a fluid at rest
- Measurement of Pressure
- Peizometer U-Table Manometer
- Single Column manometer
- U – Tube differential manometer
- Inverted Differential U – tube manometer
- Inclined manometer
- Hydrostatic Equilibrium
300.00 Fluid Kinematics
- Types of fluid flow namely steady and unsteady, Uniform and nonuniform, laminar and turbulent, compressible and incompressible, internal and external, one, two and three dimensional flow.
- Concepts of Stream lines, stream tubes. Newton Law of Viscosity, Rheological behavior of fluid
400.00 Basic Equations of Fluid Flow
- Equation of Continuity
- Equation of motion:- Euler’s equation of motion, Bernoulli’s equation from Euler’s Equation.
- Modified Bernoulli’s equation.
500.00 Practical Application of Bernoulli’S Equation
- Venturimeter: Horizontal and inclined
- Orificemeter, Pitot tube
- Notches and Weirs:- Introduction, classification, Derivation for V – notch.
601.00 Flow Through Circular Pipes
- Shear – Stress, Distribution and velocity distribution for incompressible fluids in cylindrical tube
- Relationship between Skin friction and wall shear, friction factor, Darcy’s Weisbach equation
- Reynolds experiment and Reynolds no., Formation of Boundary layer.
602.00 Laminar Flow Through Pipes
- Shear stress, velocity distribution
- Derivation of local velocity, maximum velocity, average velocity
- Kinetic Energy Correction factor, Hagen – Poiseullie equation.
603.00 Turbulent Flow
- Velocity distribution equations, Average velocity, local velocity, maximum velocity, kinetic energy correction factor.
- Von Carman equation and friction factors (No Numericals on universal velocity)
- Equivalent diameter for circular and non circular ducts.
- Pipes in series and Parallel.
- Losses due to different fittings, sudden expansion etc.
701.00 Compressible Fluids
- Introduction, Mach no., Sonic, supersonic and subsonic flow, continuity equation and Bernoulli’s equation, stagnation properties, Acoustic velocity
- Adiabatic Flow
- Isothermal Flow
- Isentropic Flow
702.00 Flow Past Immersed Bodies
- Drag forces, Coefficient of drag, Terminal settling velocity, Stoke’s Law
- Capillary viscometer
703.00 Power Consumption in Agitation
- Power curves, Power No., types of impellers.
800.00 Pumps and Valves
801.00 Classification and Types
- Centrifugal pumps, Introduction, main parts, Work done, Power required, Definitions of heads and efficiency, NPSH, Priming, Cavitations characteristic curves.
- Specific speed, minimum speed.
802.00 Reciprocating Pump
- Classifications and working
- General idea about Compressors, Fans and Blowers
803.00 Types of Valves
- Globe valves, Check valves, Gate valves, butterfly valves and non-return valves.