CBCGS [2019 - current]
CBGS [2015 - 2018]
Old [2000 - 2014]
University of Mumbai Semester 8 (BE Fourth Year) Environmental Engineering (EE) Revised Syllabus
University of Mumbai Semester 8 (BE Fourth Year) Environmental Engineering (EE) and their Unit wise marks distribution
Units and Topics
- Environmental pollution, Importance of environmental pollution control, Concept of ecological balance, Role of environmental engineer, Hydrological & nutrient cycles, Environmental Legislation & Regulations, Industrial pollution emissions & Indian standards, Water (prevention & control of pollution) act, Air (prevention & control of pollution) act.
200 Water Pollution
- Classification, sources and effect of water pollutant on human being and ecology, Sampling, measurement and standards of water quality
- Determination of organic matters:- DO, BOD, COD, TOC.
- Determination of inorganic substances:- nitrogen, phosphorus, trace elements, alkalinity.
- Physical characteristics:- suspended solids, dissolved solids, colour and odour, Bacteriological measurements.
300 Waste Water Treatment
- Primary treatment:- pretreatment, settling tanks and their sizing.
- Secondary treatment:- micro-organisms growth kinetics, aerobic biological treatment, activated sludge process, evaluation of bio-kinetic parameters, trickling filters, sludge treatment and disposal.
- Tertiary treatment:- advanced methods for removal of nutrients, suspended and dissolved solids, Advanced biological systems, Chemical oxidation, Recovery of materials from process effluents.
400 Air Pollution
- Air pollutants, sources and effect on man and environment, acid rain, smog, greenhouse effect, Ozone depletion, global warming, Temperature lapse rate and stability, Plume behaviour, Dispersion of air pollutants, Gaussian plume model, Estimation of plume rise, Air pollution sampling and measurement, Analysis of air pollutants.
500 Air Pollution Control Methods and Equipment
- Source correction methods for air pollution control, Cleaning of gaseous effluents, Particulate emission control, Equipment, system and processes for...
- Particulate pollutants:- gravity settler, cyclones, filters, ESP, scrubbers etc.
- Gaseous pollutants:- scrubbing, absorption, adsorption, catalytic conversion.
600 Solid Waste Management
- Solid waste including plastic, nuclear and hazardous waste management.
700 Noise Pollution
- Measurement and control
- Effect on man and environment.