CBCGS [2017 - current]
CBGS [2013 - 2016]
Old [2000 - 2012]
Topics with syllabus and resources
101.00 Branches of Geology
- Branches of geology useful to civil engineering,
- Importance of geological studies in various civil engineering Projects.
102.00 Internal Structure of the Earth
- Internal structure of the Earth and use of seismic waves in understanding the interior of the earth
200.00 General and Physical Geology
201.00 Agents Modifying the Earth'S Surface
- Agents modifying the earth's surface,
- study of weathering and its significance in engineering properties of rocks like strength,
- water tightness and durability etc
202.00 Brief Study of Geological Action of River
- Brief study of geological action of river, wind, glacier, ground water and the related land forms created by them.
- Central type and fissure type, products of volcano, volcanic land forms.
- Earthquake waves, construction and working of seismograph,
- Earthquake zones of India, elastic rebound theory Preventive measures for structures constructed in Earthquake prone areas.
- Identification of minerals with the help of physical properties, rock forming minerals, megascopic identification of primary and secondary minerals, study of common ore minerals.
Study of igneous, sedimentary and metamorphic rocks, distinguishing properties among these three rocks to identify them in fields.
401.00 Igneous Petrology
- Mode of formation, Texture and structure, Classifications,
- study of common occurring igneous rocks.
402.00 Metamorphic Petrology
- Mode of formation, agents and types of metamorphism,
- metamorphic minerals, rock cleavage, structures and textures of metamorphic rocks,
- classification and study of commonly occurring metamorphic rocks.
500.00 Structural Geology
- Structural elements of rocks, dip, strike, outcrop patterns unconformities, outliers and inlier, study of joints. Faults and folds, importance of structural elements in engineering operations.
600.00 Stratigraphy and Indian Geolo
- General principles of Stratiagraphy, geological time scale, Physiographic divisions of India and their characteristics.
- Stratiagraphy of Maharashtra
700.00 Geological Investigation
701.00 Preliminary Geological Investigation
- Preliminary Geological Investigation and their importance to achieve safety and economy of the projects supporting dams and tunnel projects ,
- methods of surface and subsurface investigations, excavations-Trial pit, trenches etc
702.00 Core Drilling
- Geological logging, Inclined Drill holes.
- Electrical Resistivity method,
- Seismic method and their applications.
703.00 Use of Aerial Photographs
- Satellite imageries in civil engineering projects.
800.00 Geology of Dam and Reservoir Site
801.00 Strengths, Stability, Water Tightness
- Strengths, stability, water tightness over the foundation rocks and its physical characters against geological structures at dam sites,
- favorable and unfavorable conditions for locating dam sites.
802.00 Precautions Over the Unfavorable Geological Structures
- Precautions over the unfavorable geological structures like faults , dykes , joints, unfavorable dips on dam sites and giving treatments, structural and erosional valleys.
- Importance of geological considerations while choosing tunnel sites and alignments of the tunnel, safe and unsafe geological and structural conditions, Difficulties during tunneling and methods to overcome the difficulties.
1000.00 Ground Water
1001.00 Sources, Zones, Water Table,
- Sources, zones, water table, unconfined and Perched water tables.
- Factors controlling water bearing capacity of rocks, Pervious and Impervious rocks, Cone of depression and its use in Civil engineering.
- Geological work of groundwater, Artesian well.
1002.00 Springs Seepage Sites
- Springs seepage sites and geological structures.
- Different types of rocks as source of ground water
1100.00 Recharge of Ground Water
- Methods of artificial recharge of ground water, geology of percolation tank.
1200.00 Land Slides
- Types, causes and preventive measures for landslides, Landslides in Deccan region.
1300.00 Building Stones
- Requirements of good building stones and its geological factors, controlling properties, consideration of common rocks as building stones, study of different building stones from various formations of Indian Peninsula,
Question Papers For All Subjects
- Applied Mathematics 3 2007 to 2018
- Building Materials and Construction 2009 to 2018
- Strength of Materials 2007 to 2018
- Engineering Geology 2009 to 2018
- Surveying 1 2007 to 2018
- Fluid Mechanics 1 2009 to 2018