CBCGS [2017 - current]
CBGS [2013 - 2016]
Old [2000 - 2012]
Topics with syllabus and resources
- Conductance, specific conductance, equivalent conductance, molar conductance.
- Effect of dilution and temperature on conductance.
- Transport number.
- DebyeHuckel theory of strong electrolytes.
- Concentration cells with and without transference w.r.t. cations.
- Standard cells.
- Use of EMF measurement and other technique for determination of solubility product, hydrogen ion concentration.
200.00 Instrumental Methods of Analysis
- Principle and types of titrations - Acid-base, precipitation and complexometric
- Principle and types of titrations - Acid-base, precipitation and complexometric.
203.00 Amperometry Polarography
- Methods and applications
- Adsorption and partition.
- Study of Paper Chromatography, Thin Layer Chromatography, High Performance Liquid Chromatography, Gas (Liquid and solid)
- Chromatography –Principle and their applications.
205.00 Optical Methods
- (Principle, Instrumentation and applications) UV, IR, NMR, GC-MS spectroscopy, flame photometry.
300.00 Ion Exchange and Solvent Extraction Techniques
- Ion exchange resins, cation and anion exchangers.
- Desalination by ion exchange and separation of lanthanides.
- Solvent extraction. Nernst distribution law.
- Distribution ratio.
- Batch, continuous and counter current extraction.
- Numericals based on solvent extraction.
400.00 Colloids and Surfactants
- Origin of charge on colloidal particles.
- Concept of electrical double layer.
- Helmholtzand system models. Electro-kinetic PhenomenonElectrophoresis, electro-osmosis, streaming potential and Dorn effect (Sedimentation potential).
- Colloidal electrolytes, Donnam Membrane equilibrium Colloidal electrolytes.
- Emulsions O/Wand W/O types, emulsifying agents, surfactants.
- Applications of surfactants in detergents, pesticide formulations and food industry.
500.00 Industrially Important Esters and Aromaticity
- Synthesis and properties of malonic ester and aceto acetic ester
- Aromaticity and aromatic character, Huckel’s rule of aromaticity, Aromatic character of Benzene, Naphthalene, Anthracene,Pyrrole, Furan, Thiophene, Pyridine.
- Criteria of catalysis
- Types (Homogeneous and Heterogeneous)
- Catalytic promoters, poisons.
- Negative catalysis and inhibition.
- Autocatalysis and Induced catalysis.
- Activation energy and catalysis.
- Intermediate compound formation theory.
- Adsorption theory.
- Acid-Base catalysis and mechanism.
- Enzyme catalysis.
- Characteristics and mechanism of enzyme catalysis.