CBCGS [2017 - current]
CBGS [2013 - 2016]
Old [2000 - 2012]
Topics with syllabus and resources
100.00 Basic Concepts of Chemistry and Molecular Structures
- Hydrogen bonding, Valence bond-Theory, Molecular orbital theory, Non-bonding and anti-bonding orbitals, LCAO method, VSEPR theory.
- Structure of BF3, PCl3, PCl5 and SF4.
- Molecular orbital structures of homonuclear and heteronuclear molecules H2, BF2, B2, C2, N2, O2, F2, CO, HF, NO2, metallic bond.
200.00 Co-ordination Chemistry
- Co-ordination number or ligancy, Complex ion, Co-ordination dative bond complexions.
- Theories of coordination compounds such as Werner’s Co-ordination theory, Valence bond-Theory, Crystal field theory (CFT), Ligand field theory.
- Effective Atomic Number (EAN).
- Nomenclature and isomerism (Only Geometrical and Structural) in co-ordination compounds with respect to co-ordination number 4 and 6.
- Application of CFT to tetrahedral and octahedral complexes, drawbacks of CFT, MOT as applied to octahedral complexes of Fe, Measurement of CFSE (10Dq), Numericals based on EAN and 10Dq measurement, Applications of coordination compounds.
300.00 Organometallic Compounds and Bio-inorganic Chemistry
- Chemistry of Fe-carbonyls with respect to preparation, properties, structure and bonding.
- Biochemistry of proteins containing Cu, Fe and Zn chemistry of cytochromes and their application, O2 atom transfer reactions of biomolecules containing Fe.
400.00 Reaction Mechanism and Reactive Intermediates
- Transition state (T.S.), Intermediate.
- Difference between T.S. & intermediate.
- Equilibrium (Thermodynamically) controlled & rate (Kinetically) controlled reactions.
- Explain w.r.t. Nitration of chlorobenzene, methylation of toluene by Friedel-Craft’s reaction, sulphonation of naphthalene.
500.00 Reactive Intermediates
- Reactive intermediates
- Carbocation, carbanion, carbon free radicals and carbenes – their formation, structure & stability.
- Name reactions with mechanism w.r.t. each reactive intermediate.
- Carbocation – Pinacol - Pinacolone reaction.
- Carbanion – Michael reaction.
- Free radical - Wohl-Ziegler bromaination reaction.
- Carbene - Reimer-Tiemann reaction for aldehyde.
600.00 Substitution Reactions
1. Electrophilic substitution reactions
- In monocyclic aromatic compounds
- Orientation influence
- Friedel Craft alkylation
2. Nucleohilic substitution reactions
- SN1 reaction with mechanism
- SN2 reaction with mechanism
3. Elimination reactions
- E1 reaction with mechanism
- E2 reaction with mechanism