CBCGS [2019 - current]
CBGS [2015 - 2018]
Old [2000 - 2014]
Topics with syllabus and resources
100.00 Global Energy Scenario
- Broad classification of energy sources:- primary, secondary, commercial, non-commercial, renewable, non-renewable.
- Global primary energy reserves and energy consumption, Ratio of energy demand to GDP:- significance.
- Indian energy scenario: w.r.t above points.
- Energy policies, regulations, consumption and production, installed capacity, energy intensive sectors in India.
- Energy management:aim, key principles, steps to be taken to improve energy efficiency of systems.
- Energy conservation act (India).
- Energy and environment, Causes of high energy intensity and energy demand in developing countries: technological, managerial, economic, structural causes
200.00 Energy Audit
- Definition, need and steps of energy audit.
- Energy audit methodology:- interview with key facility personal, facility tour, document review, facility inspection, staff interviews, utility analysis, identifying energy conservation opportunities/measures, economic analysis, preparing audit report, review and recommendations.
- Types of energy audit:- preliminary (walk-through) audit, general (mini) audit, investment grade (maxi/detailed) audit.
- Energy profiles:- energy profile by use, cost, function.
- Energy sub-audits:- envelope, functional, process, transportation and utility audit.
- Instrumentation part of energy audit:- equipments for measuring light intensity, electrical performance, temperature, pressure, humidity, performance of combustion system and HVAC system during energy audit; energy auditors tool box and its contents.
- Preparing for energy audit visit:- to study the facility in view of energy use data, energy rate structure, physical and operational data.
- Safety considerations during energy audit:- related to electrical, respiratory, hearing, etc.
- Post audit analysis:- identifying ECOs, evaluate feasibility of ECOs with help of simple pay back period analysis, preparing summarized energy audit report
300.00 Energy Efficient Technologies
- Basic energy consuming systems in chemical industries and energy efficient modifications in those systems:- lighting system; motors, belt and drives system; fans and pumps system; compressed air system; steam system; refrigeration system; material handling system; hydraulic system; drying system.
- Examples of energy efficient technologies:- pressure swing adsorption purification; ethylene by thermal cracking.
400.00 Energy Integration in the Process Industries
- Energy integration in process:- concept.
- Pinch analysis:- evaluation of minimum utility requirement by temperature interval method and composite curve method.
- Design of Heat Exchanger Network (HEN) for process system:- minimum approach temperature difference (∆Tmin); Linnhoff rules for HEN design; pinch decomposition diagram; concept of minimum number of heat exchangers (NHx,min); design of HEN with NHx,min using breaking loop method and stream splitting method.
- Concept of Threshold approach temperature difference (∆Tthresh) and Optimum approach temperature difference (∆Topt) during HEN.
- Determining annualized cost of HEN
500.00 Heat Integration in Process Units
- Multiple effect evaporators (MEE):- types forward feed, backward feed, parallel feed; advantage of MEE over single effect evaporator in terms of energy saving.
- Effect of process variables on evaporator operation:- feed temperature, operating pressure, steam pressure, Boiling point rise.
- Heat integration of Multiple effect evaporators (MEE) with background process.
- Heat integration MEE with and without vapour re-compression:- mechanical vapour re-compression, thermal vapour re-compression.
- Distillation column:- heat integration in distillation column – multiple effect distillation, heat pumping, vapour recompression, Reboiler flashing.
- Different arrangements of heat integration of columns with background process.
- Introduction and basic concepts related to co-generation:- advantages of co-generation over conventional power plants; basic terms related to co-generation like, process heat, process returns, net heat to process, heat to power ratio, prime mover, etc.
- Basic thermodynamic cycles supporting working of cogeneration plant:- Brayton cycle, Rankine cycle.
- Basic types of co-generation systems:- topping cycle, bottoming cycle, combined cycle.
- Different types of co-generation power plants:- steam turbine system, gas turbine system, combined gas steam turbine system, diesel engine system.
- Distributed generation (DG) co-generation technologies:- reciprocating engine system, micro turbines, fuel cells, photovoltaic cells, Co-generation design procedure, Applications of co-generation.
700.00 Waste Heat Recovery (WHR)
- Classification and applications of WHR:- waste heat sources, quality of waste heat and its application; high temperature WHR, medium temperature WHR, low temperature WHR.
- Benefits of WHR:- direct and indirect benefits.
- Different techniques used for WHR / Commercial devices used for WHR:- recuperators, radiation/convective hybrid recuperator, ceramic recuperator, regenerator, heat wheel, heat pipe, waste heat boiler, economizer, heat pumps.