CBCGS [2017 - current]
CBGS [2013 - 2016]
Old [2000 - 2012]
Units and Topics
- Typical AC supply system, comparison between DC and AC supply system, choice of working voltage for transmission and distribution.
200 Transmission Line Parameters
- Resistance, skin effect and proximity effect.
- Definition of inductance, inductance of single phase two wire line, conductor types, bundled conductors. Inductance of composite conductor, single circuit three phase line, double circuit three phase line.
- Potential difference between two conductors of a group of parallel conductors, capacitance of a two wire line, three phase line with equilateral spacing, three phase line with unsymmetrical spacing earth effect on transmission line capacitance, bundled conductors, method of GMD.
300 Performance of Transmission Line
301 Representation of Power System Components
- Single phase solution of balanced three phase networks. One line diagram, impedance and reactance diagram. Per unit (p.u.) system, per unit impedance diagram, representation of loads.
302 Transmission Line Model
- Short, medium, and long line model. Equivalent circuit of a long line. Ferranti effect. Tuned power lines, surge impedance loading, power flow through transmission lines (Numerical compulsory).
400 Overhead Transmission Line
401 Mechanical Design of Transmission Line
- Components of overhead lines, types of towers- A type, B type, C type, D type and double circuit tower, cross arms, conductor configuration, spacing and clearance span lengths, sag and tension (Numerical compulsory).
402 Overhead Line Insulators
- Types of insulators. String efficiency, methods of equalizing potential (Numerical compulsory)
500 Underground Cable
- General construction, types of cable- PVC insulated, XLPE, Paper impregnated, mineral insulated, insulation resistance of single core cable, capacitance of single core cable, grading of cable, selection of cable.
- Comparison between overhead line transmission with underground cabling system
600 Grounding and Safety Techniques
- Measurement of earth resistance. Soil resistivity, tolerable limits of body currents, tolerable step and touch voltage, actual step and touch voltage, measurement of tower footing resistance, counterpoise methods of neutral grounding, grounding practices.
Question Papers For All Subjects
- Elements of Power System 2009 to 2014
- Applied Mathematics 4 2007 to 2018
- Electrical Machines 1 2007 to 2014
- Signal Processing 2010 to 2014
- Analog and Digital Integrated Circuits 2007 to 2014
- Numerical Methods and Optimization Techniques 2010 to 2014