CBCGS [2018 - current]
CBGS [2014 - 2017]
Old [2000 - 2013]
Units and Topics
100 Vector Basics
- Introduction to Co-ordinate System – Rectangular – Cylindrical and Spherical Co-ordinate System – Introduction to line, Surface and Volume Integrals – Definition of Curl, Divergence and Gradient .
200 Static Electric Fields
- Coulomb’s Law in Vector Form – Definition of Electric Field Intensity – Principle of Superposition – Electric Field due to discrete charges, Electric field due to continuous charge distribution - Electric Field due to line charge– Electric Field on the axis of a uniformly charged circular disc – Electric Field due to an infinite uniformly charged sheet.
- Electric Scalar Potential – Relationship between potential and electric field - Potential due to infinite uniformly charged line – Potential due to electrical dipole - Electric Flux Density – Gauss Law Introduce applications of electrostatic fields – electrostatic discharge, high dielectric constant material.
300 Static Magnetic Fields
- The Biot-Savart’s Law in vector form – Magnetic Field intensity due to a finite and infinite wire carrying a current I – Magnetic field intensity on the axis of a circular and rectangular loop carrying a current I – Ampere’s circuital law and simple applications.
- Magnetic flux density – The Lorentz force equation for a moving charge and applications – Force on a wire carrying a current I placed in a magnetic field – Torque on a loop carrying a current I – Magnetic moment – Magnetic Vector Potential.
400 Electric and Magnetic Fields in Materials
- Poisson’s and Laplace’s equation – Electric Polarization-Nature of dielectric materials- Definition of Capacitance – Capacitance of various geometries using Laplace’s equation – Electrostatic energy and energy density – Boundary conditions for electric fields – Electric current – Current density – point form of ohm’s law – continuity equation for current.
- Definition of Inductance – Inductance of loops and solenoids – Definition of mutual inductance – simple examples. Energy density in magnetic fields –magnetic boundary conditions.
- Estimation and control of electric stress- control of stress at an electrode edge
500 Time Varying Electric and Magnetic Fields
- Faraday’s law – Maxwell’s Second Equation in integral form from Faraday’s Law – Equation expressed in point form.
- Displacement current – Ampere’s circuital law in integral form – Modified form of Ampere’s circuital law as Maxwell’s first equation in integral form – Equation expressed in point form.
- Maxwell’s four equations in integral form and differential form.
600 Wave Theory
- Derivation of Wave Equation – Uniform Plane Waves – Maxwell’s equation in phasor form, Wave equation in Phasor form – Plane waves in free space and in a homogenous material.
- Wave equation for a conducting medium, plane waves in lossy dielectrics, propagation in good conductors.
Question Papers For All Subjects
- Electromagnetic Fields and Waves 2007 to 2013
- Electrical Machines 2 2008 to 2013
- Communication Engineering 2010 to 2013
- Power Electronics 2010 to 2013
- Power System Analysis 2010 to 2013
- Environmental Studies 2010 to 2014