CBCGS [2019 - current]
CBGS [2015 - 2018]
Old [2000 - 2014]
Topics with syllabus and resources
100.00 Reservoir Planning and Management
- Reservoir – types, storage capacity of reservoir, storage zones, designing reservoir capacity, flow duration curves, mass curves of inflow and outflow, reservoir losses, reservoir sedimentation, silt control, selection of type of dam, selection of site of dam, preliminary and final investigations of dam sites.
200.00 Gravity Dams
- Definition, typical cross section, forces acting on gravity dam, modes of failure and structural stability analysis, profile of dam- elementary and practical profile, low and high gravity dam, design consideration and fixing of section of dam, methods of design, construction of galleries in dams, types of joints, temperature control in concrete dams, foundation treatment..
300.00 Arch and Buttress Dams
- Definition and types of arch dams, forces acting on arch darn, design of arch dams, types of buttress dams.
400.00 Earth and Rock Fill Dams
- Types of earth dams, method of construction, causes and failures of earth dams, design criteria, selecting suitable preliminary section, seepage line for different conditions and its location, seepage control through embankment and through foundations, Swedish circle method with pore pressure, details of construction and maintenance, types of rock fill dams, stability analysis, advantages.
500.00 Spillways and Flood Control Works
- Introduction, location of spillway, design consideration of main spillway, controlled and uncontrolled spillway, types of spillways, design principles of ogee spillway. Chute spillway.
- Siphon spillway and shaft spillway, energy dissipation below overflow and other types of spillways, design of bucket type energy dissipater and stilling basin, flood mitigation reservoirs.
- Crest gates, types, advantages, design of radial gate, outlet works through dams, intake structures.
600.00 Miscellaneous Topics
- Design of small bridges and culverts, data collection, high flood discharge, linear waterway calculation, scour depth, causeways and culverts, principles of hydraulic design of causeways and culverts, design details of surplus weir, flush escape, direct sluice, canal drops, canal regulators, diversion head works: component parts, functions, weirs and barrages, Blighs Creep theory, Lanes weighed theory. Cross drainage (CD) works: Types of CD works