Units and Topics
- Kinetics and mechanism of various Heterogeneous reactions and design consideration of reactors used during different operating conditions.
- Properties of solid catalysts, Physical adsorption and Chemisorption, Surface area and pore size distribution, Langmuir-Hinshelwood model, General mechanism of solid catalysed fluid phase reactions.
- Special cases when
(a) Film resistance controls.
(b) Surface phenomenon controls.
(c) Surface reaction controls
(d) Pore diffusion controls.
- Intrinsic kinetics and various cases of adsorption and reaction stage controls.
- Concept of effectiveness factor of catalyst and its dependence on catalyst properties and kinetic parameters.
- Phenomenon observed in operation of packed, fluid bed, slurry and such reactors.
- Product distribution in multiple and complex reaction.
- Thermal Effects, phenomena of stability, instability and run away and its analysis.
- Strategies for stable operation of reactors.
- Design consideration of fluid-solid catalytic reactors, including Fluid bed reactors.
- General mechanism of reaction.
- Various models.
- Specific cases with respect
(a) Film diffusion controlling.
(b) Ash diffusion controlling.
(c) Chemical reaction controlling.
- Experimental reactors for heterogeneous Reactions, Non-Catalytic Fluid Solid Reactions in Flow Reactors, Application to design of continues solid flow reactors
- Various design considerations, Application of fluid bed reactors and their design consideration, heat transfer effects.
Reaction with mass transfer, The rate equation pertaining to fast to very slow reactions.
Design of gas-liquid, liquid-liquid and gasliquid-solid reactors – Heterogeneous reactors, Bubble heterogeneous reactors, co-current and counter-current flow packed bed reactors.
- Concept of residence time distribution(RTD), Measurement and characteristics of RTD, RTD in Ideal batch reactors, Plug flow reactor and CSTR.
- Zero Parameter Model – Segregation and Maximum mixedness model.
- One parameter model – Tank in series model and Dispersion Model, Recycle Model.
- Multi parameter models, Effect of dispersion on conversion for general irreversible reaction case, Diagnostic methods of analysis of flow patterns in reactors, Role of micro and macro mixing and segregation in ideal (MFR, PFR) and non ideal reaction cases.