CBCGS [2019 - current]
CBGS [2015 - 2018]
Old [2000 - 2014]
Topics with syllabus and resources
100.00 Introduction to Bioproducts and Bioseparation
- Range and characteristics of bioproducts
- Characteristics of Fermentation Broth
- Selection of unit operation with due consideration of physical, chemical and biochemical aspect of biomolecules
- Stages of Downstream Processing
200.00 Product Release and Recovery Processes
- Fundamental principles of obtaining the product from cell cultures: intracellular vs. extracellular product
- Cell disruption-Physical, Chemical and Enzymatic methods of cell disruption
- Mechanical Cell disruption methods: High pressure Cell Homogenizer, Bead Mill, Sonication
300.00 Primary Separation
- Removal of insolubles and Biomass (and particulate debris) separation techniques
- Flocculation and sedimentation
- Centrifugation-Ultracentrifugation, Gradient centrifugation
- Filtration: Theory of Filtration, Pretreatment of Fermentation Broth, Filter Media and Equipment, Conventional and Cross- flow Filtration, Continuous Filtration, Filter cake resistance, specific cake resistance, Washing and dewatering of filter cakes
400.00 Gas Absorption
- Solubility of gases in liquids, Effect of temperature and pressure on solubility, Ideal and Non-ideal solutions, Choice of solvent for gas absorption, absorption factor,stripping factor, minimum gas liq ratio, Single stage gas absorption- Cross Current, Cocurrent, Countercurrent, Multistage Counter current Operation.
- Absorption with Chemical Reactions Related problems
500.00 Liquid-liquid Extraction
- Introduction to Liquid-Liquid Extraction, Choice of Solvent for Liquid-Liquid Extraction
- Triangular coordinate system, Ternary Equilibria [Binodal Solubility Curve with effect of temperature and pressure on it], Single Stage Operation, Multistage Cross Current Operation, Multistage Counter Current Operation [with and without re- flux]
- Equipments for liquid-liquid extraction.
- Kinetics and modeling of extraction cycles
- Types of extraction processes:- Reactive extraction, Aqueous two phase systems, Reverse micellar extraction, Liquid-liquid and solid-liquid extraction, Supercritical fluid Extraction.
- Design of extraction equipment.
- Different types of extractors and designing of extractors.
- Leaching:- Representation of equilibria, single stage leaching, multistage cross current leaching, multistage counter current leaching, equipments for leaching.
- Protein Precipitation methods: Isoelectric precipitation, Salting out, Organic solvent addition, Non-ionic polymers, Polyelectrolyte Addition
- Selective denaturation of unwanted proteins
- Large scale precipitation