CBCGS [2017 - current]
CBGS [2013 - 2016]
Old [2000 - 2012]
Topics with syllabus and resources
- Introduction, aims and scope
- Chemical foundations of Biology- Properties of water, acids, bases and buffers, covalent bonds, Non-covalent interactions in biological systems.
Classification, Structure and Functions of :-
- Nucleic acids
- Working of Enzymes
- Concept of Activation energy and transition state
- Factors affecting enzyme activity- pH, Temperature, Substrate & Enzyme Concentration
400.00 Vitamins and Hormones
- Vitamins: Classification, functions, role in metabolism, vitamins as cofactors.
- Hormones: Classification, endocrine glands, function and mechanism of action of hormones.
- Carbohydrates- Glycolysis, TCA cycle
- Lipids- Digestion by GI enzymes and breakdown of Triglycerides: α, β, ω oxidation of fatty acids
- Amino acids- decarboxylation, deamination & transamination. Urea cycle; fate of amino acids (connection to TCA)
- Electron Transport Chain
- Photophosphorylation- Photosystems, reaction centers, pigments, cyclic and non-cyclic photophosphorylation, Z pathway
- Laws of Thermodynamics
- Concept of Enthalpy, Entropy
- Energy rich compounds – ATP as energy currency