Topics with syllabus and resources
- Development of boundary layer over flat curved surfaces, laminar and turbulent boundary layer. boundary layer thickness, displacement thickness, momentum thickness, energy thickness, drag force on a flat plate due to a boundary layer, turbulent boundary layer on a flat plate, analysis of turbulent boundary layer, total drag on a flat plate due to laminar turbulent boundary layer, boundary layer separation and control.
- Force exerted by a flowing fluid on a stationary body, expression for drag lift, drag on a sphere, terminal velocity of a body, drag on a cylinder.
- Development of a lift on a circular cylinder, development of a lift on an aerofoil.
Definition, types of channels, Types of flows in channels, Prismatic nonprismatic channels,
Uniform flow: steady flow and unsteady flow, laminar and turbulent flow, subcritical flow, supercritical flow, Chezy’s formula, Manning’s formula, hydraulically efficient channel cross-section (most economical section), Velocity distribution in open channels, and pressure distribution in open channels.
Applications of Bernoulli’s equation to open channel flow.
Non uniform flow: Specific energy and specific energy curve, discharge curve, Dimensionless specific energy discharge curve, applications of specific energy. Momentum principle, application to open channel flow, specific force.
Hydraulic jump and standing wave, small waves surges in open channels.
Gradually varied flow, equation for gradually varied flow, back water curve and afflux, surface profiles.
Control section, location of hydraulic jump.
- Kennedy’s theory, Kennedy’s methods of channel designs, silt supporting capacity according to Kennedy’s theory.
- Drawbacks in Kennedy’s theory Lacey’s regime theory, Lacey’s theory applied to channel design.
- Comparison of Kennedys and Lacey’s theory, defects in Lacey’s theory.
- Introduction to sediment transport in channels.
Question Papers For All Subjects
- Geotechnical Engineering 2 2012 to 2018
- Design and Drawing of Steel Structure 2008 to 2018
- Applied Hydraulics 2 2008 to 2018
- Transportation Engineering 2 2008 to 2018
- Environmental Engineering-1 2010 to 2018
- Theory of Reinforced and Prestressed Concrete 2010 to 2018