CBCGS [2019 - current]
CBGS [2015 - 2018]
Old [2000 - 2014]
University of Mumbai Semester 8 (BE Fourth Year) Agriculture Biotechnology Revised Syllabus
University of Mumbai Semester 8 (BE Fourth Year) Agriculture Biotechnology and their Unit wise marks distribution
Units and Topics
100 Agricultural Microbiology
- Microbial groups in soil, Plant and Microbe interactions.
- Plant pathogens, Biological nitrogen fixation, Microflora of Rhizosphere and Phyllosphere microflora, microbes in composting
- Beneficial microorganisms in Agriculture: Biofertilizer (Bacterial Cyanobacterial and Fungal), microbial insecticides, Microbial agents for control of Plant diseases
200 Plant Breeding
- Historical milestones in plant breeding. Aims and objectives of plant breeding, Significance of plant breeding in crop development.
- Concepts in plant breeding - Simple versus Complex Inheritance, Mating Systems, Varieties, and Pure Lines.
- Methods of Plant Breeding.
- Plant Hormone Signal Transduction - Auxin and GA Signaling, Cytokinin and Ethylene Signaling
300 Transgenic Plants
- Transgenic Plant Analysis: screening on selection media, PCR, Intact Transgene Integration characterization, Real time PCR, Transgene expression, western blot analysis
- Regulations and Biosafety
- Field Testing of Transgenic Plants - Environmental Risk Assessment (ERA) process, e.g. the case of Bt Maize, Agronomic Performance, Risk analysis.
- Clean-gene technology.
400 Genetic Manipulation of Herbicide Tolerance
- The use of herbicides in modern agriculture
- Types of compounds used as herbicides
- Strategies for engineering herbicide tolerance - Glyphosate tolerance, Phosphinothricin, Prospects for plant detoxification systems
- Commercialization of herbicide-tolerant plants to date
- The environmental impact of herbicide-tolerant crops
- Development of Superweeds.
500 Biotic and Abiotic Stress
- Abiotic stress: Acclimation and crop adaptation to water stress, salinity stress, temperature stress, heat and cold, Photo oxidative stress, nutrient stress, heavy metal stress, metabolite engineering for abiotic stress tolerance
- Biotic stress: plant response to pathogens and herbivores, biochemical and molecular basis of host plant resistance, toxins of fungi and bacteria, systemic and induced resistance, pathogen derived resistance, genetic engineering for biotic stress resistance
600 Genetic Manipulation of Pest Resistance
- The nature and scale of insect pest damage to crops.
- GM strategies for insect resistance: the Bacillus thuringiensis approach.
- The use of Bacillus thuringiensis as a biopesticide.
- Bt-based genetic modification of plants.
- Problem of insect resistance to Bt, environmental impact of Bt crops.
- Copy Nature strategy
700 Improvement of Crop Yield and Quality
- Genetic manipulation of fruit ripening, softening, genetic modification of ethylene biosynthesis.
- Golden rice and Biofortified rice.
- Engineering plant protein composition for improved nutrition.
- The genetic manipulation of crop yield by enhancement of photosynthesis
800 Molecular Farming
- Farming of carbohydrates (e.g. starch, polyfructans)
- Metabolic engineering of Lipids (e.g. Bioplastics)
- Molecular farming of proteins (e.g. oleosin system: hirudin and insulin production).
- Medically related proteins (e.g. custom made antibodies, Edible vaccines)