CBCGS [2019 - current]
CBGS [2015 - 2018]
Old [2000 - 2014]
Units and Topics
100 Differential Equations
- Differential equations of heat transfer (Conduction), mass transfer (molecular diffusion) with application like CVD reactors.
200 Shell Balance
- velocity distribution in laminar flow, temperature distribution in solids and laminar flow, concentration distributions in solids and in laminar flow.
300 Convective Transport
- Convective momentum transport in boundary layer.
- Convective heat transport in boundary layer.
- Convective Mass transport in boundary layer.
- Formulation of differential equations for wetted wall column, thin film evaporator (only model formulation, solution not expected).
400 Simplification of Equation 1
- Simplification of continuity equation and equation of motion in Cartesian, cylindrical and spherical coordinates for different steady state engineering problems
- e.g. flow through trough, pipes and ducts, conical sections, etc for Newtonian and Power law fluids.
500 Simplification of Equation 2
- Simplification of equation of energy with and without viscous dissipation for steady state chemical engineering problems.
- Applications should be limited to Newtonian and Power law fluids.
- Simplification of continuity equation for multicomponent system with applications to chemical engineering problems like absorption, absorption with reaction, adsorption, diffusion, extraction, etc.
600 Unsteady State Microscopic Balances with and Without Generation
- Laminar flow in a tube, conduction with/without heat generation, gas absorption in liquid droplets with/without reaction.
- Solution to partial differential equations developed in earlier modules using various numerical methods like finite element method, Crank-Nicholson method, Laplace equation.
- Emphasis should be given to write the computer programs and analysis of simulated values using SciLab/MATLAB for home/class assignments.