Topics with syllabus and resources
100.00 Introduction to Geology
- Definition, importance and Interdisciplinary nature
- Branches of Geology
- The earth as a planet, Origin of the earth. Distribution and evolution of continents and oceans, Major internal structure of the earth-crust, mantle and core
200.00 External Processes Affecting the Earth’S Crust
- Weathering – types, erosion, denudation and deposition
- Soil : formation and classification
- Geological action : Running water, Glaciers, Wind, Sea waves, Ground water
- Organizations with reference to location and functions – DGM, GSDA, GSI, ONGC, NIO, ISRO, CGWB, IBM, AMD
- Definition of Mineral, Crystal, Chemical – composition and Physical properties of minerals, - such as Colour, Streak, Lustre, Cleavage, Fracture, Hardness, Form, Specific– Gravity, Radioactivity, Electricity, Magnetism
- Study of rock forming mineral groups as
- Feldspar group - Orthoclase
- Silica group - Rock crystal,, Amethyst, Agate,Opal
- Amphibole group - Hornblende
- Pyroxene group - Hypersthene
- Mica group Muscovite
- Olivine group - Olivine
- Other minerals - Calcite, Stilbite, Apophyllite
- Definition of rock, Three fold classification of rocks as – igneous, sedimentary and metamorphic.
- Igneous rocks – Definition, classification plutonic, hypabyssal and volcanic. Study of Granite, Gabbro, Dunite, Pegmatite, Dolerite, Rhyolite and Basalt.
- Sedimentary rocks – Processes of formation of sedimentary rocks, Study of Laterite and Bauxite, Conglomerate, Breceia, Sandstone, Shale, Limestone.
- Metamorphic rocks – Definition of metamorphism; Agents and types of metamorphism. Study of Slate, Marble, Chlorite schist, Granite gneiss
- Study of rocks used as Building material with reference to Strength, Durability, Colour, Study of Granite, Basalt, Sandstone, Limestone, Marble.
- Location – its relation with India
- Physiography – Physiographic divisions, relief features, Geological structure.
- Distribution of major rock types and their economic significance.
- Distribution of economically important minerals – varieties of Silica, Zeolites, Kyanite,Bauxite,Iron and Manganese ores, Coal, Oil and Natural gas.