Topics with syllabus and resources
100.00 General Geology
- Introduction to Geology.
- Relation to other branches of sciences.
- Branches of Geology. Scope and significance of geology.
200.00 The Earth and Its Environment in Space
- Universe. Galaxy- Milky way Solar System – The Sun, Planets, Satellites, Asteroids, Comets, Meteorites
- The earth, it position in solar system, Theories; Bigbang and Steady state
300.00 Parameters of the Earth
- Shape- Flat, Spherical, Oblate, Spheroid, Elliptical, Geoidal Concept.
- Diameter- Polar, Equatorial. Density
400.00 Earth Motions
- Rotation- Day and Night.
- Revolution- Seasons, Equinox.
500.00 Zones of Earth
- Atmosphere- Composition, Structure, Different layers. Hydrosphere- Constituents, Water Cycle, Evaporation, Precipitation, Percolation, Surface run off.
- Lithosphere- Crust, Mantle, Core Composition, temperature and density factors Discontinuities- Mohorovicic, Gutenberg
600.00 Exogenous Geological Processes
- Weathering- Definition, Types: Mechanical; Spheroidal, Frost action Chemical; Oxidation, Hydration, Carbonation and Biological. Products of weathering; soil, Scree, Talus
700.00 Geological Agents: Wind
- [a] Erosion – Deflation, Abrasion & Attrition. Erosional features: Pedestal rocks and Ventifacts.
- [b] Transportation – Suspension & Saltation.
- [c] Depositional features – Sand dunes : types, Barchans and Loess.
- Definition – Glaciation.
- [a] Snow, Neve, Fern, Ice, Snowfield, Snowline, Crevasses & Avalanches.
- [b] Types – Valley glaciers, Piedmont glaciers and Continental glaciers.
- [c] Erosion – Abrasion, Excavation, Frost wedging, Plucking and Quarrying.
- [d] Erosional features: Striations, Roches moutonnees, Hanging valleys, U shaped valleys, Cirques, Horns, Arete, Berg Schrund and Ice bergs.
- [e] Transportation.
- [f] Deposition – Glacial drift and Till, Moraines, - Lateral, Medial & Terminal, Drumlins, Eskers, Kames and Kettles
- Definition, Sources.
- [a] Head – Tributaries, Channel – Course, Mouth – Distributaries.
- [b] Stages of River: Initial, Youth, Mature and Old.
- [c] Erosion – Hydraulic action, Corrasion, Corrosion and Solution.
- [d] Erosional features: Gorges, Canyons, Waterfalls, Pot-holes, V Shaped valleys, Meanders and Oxbow lakes.
- [e] Transportation: Saltation, Solution and Suspension,
- [f] Depositional features – Alluvial fans, Natural leves, Flood plain and Delta.
1000.00 Underground Water
- [a] Hydrological properties – Porosity, Permeability, Specific yield and Specific retention.
- [b] Zones – Zone of aeration, Zone of saturation and Water table.
- [c] Types of Aquifers – Aquiclude, Aquifer and Aquitard.
- [d] Wells and Springs.
- [e] Erosion, Transportation and Deposition – Stalactites, Stalagmites and Karst topography.
1100.00 Significance of Exogenous Geological Processes
Operation, influencing factors and agencies; results
1200.00 Endogenous Geological Process- Volcanoes
- [a] Structure.
- [b] Types – Central, Fissure, Active, Dormant, Extinct and Mud volcano.
- [c] Products – Gaseous, Liquid and Solid.
- [d] Distribution – Circum – Pacific Belt and Alpine – Himalayan Belt
- [a] Causes – Surface, Volcanic and Tectonic.
- [b] Effects – Civil and Geological.
- [c] Earthquake waves, Seismogram, Seismograph and Richter’s Scale.
1400.00 Natural Hazards: a Geological Concept
- [a] Earthquake.
- [b] Volcanoes.
- [c] Floods.
- [d] Draught.
- [f] Landslides.
- Introduction, Definition of Mineral. Physical Properties of Minerals – Colour,Streak, Luster, Diaphaneity, Form Cleavage, Fracture, Hardness, Tenacity and Specific Gravity
- Study of Following Mineral Groups:
- [a] Quartz – Rose quartz, Rock crystal, Milky quartz, Amethyst & Opal.
- [b] Feldspar Group – Orthoclase, Microcline & Plagioclase.
- [c] Mica Group – Muscovite & Biotite.
- [d] Moh’s Scale of Hardness – Talc, Gypsum, Calcite, Fluorite, Apatite, Orthoclase, Quartz, Topaz, Corundum &Diamond.
- Introduction, Definition of Crystal.
- [a] States of Matter – Crystal, Crystalline & Amorphous.
- [b] Crystal parts – Faces, Edges & Solid angles, their relationship – Euler’s formula F + A = E + 2.
- [c] Interfacial angle & its measurements by Contact Goniometer.
- [d] Symmetry characters – Plane, Axis & Centre.
- [e] Study of Six Crystallographic Systems based on crystallographic axis.
1700.00 Environmental Geology and Environmental Pollution:
- Definition, Scope & Importance.
- Introduction, Definition. Study of Causes, Effects & Controlling Measures of the following pollution Types – [a] Air Pollution. [b] Water Pollution. [c] Soil Pollution. [d] Noise Pollution. [e] Nuclear hazards
- DISASTER MANAGEMENT- Definition. [a] Earthquake. [b] Volcanoes. [c] Floods. [d] Draught. [e] Landslides.
1800.00 Organizations in the Field of Geology
- Geological Survey of India. [G.S.I]
- Department of Mines & Geology. [D.M.G]
- Mysore Minerals Limited. [M.M.L]
- Oil & Natural Gas Commission. [O.N.G.C]
- Atomic Energy Commission. [A.E.C]
- National Institute of Oceanography. [N.I.O]
- Indian Space Research Organization. [I.S.R.O]
- National Mineral Development Corporation. [N.M.D.C]
- National Remote Sensing Agency. [N.R.S.A]
- National Geophysical Research Institute [N.G.R.I]
- Mineral and Metal Trading Corporation [M.M.T.C]
- National Remote Sensing Corporation [N.R.S.C]