Topics with syllabus and resources
100.00 Human Geography
- Meaning, Field and Scope of Human Geography
200.00 World Population
- Growth of population, Density, Distribution and Demographic Cycle.
- Composition – Age Structure, Sex-Ratio, Rural- Urban, Literacy and Occupation
- Human Development – Meaning, Indicators.
300.00 Human Economic Activities
- Primary Activities – Food gathering, Hunting, Animal Rearing, Fishing, Lumbering, Mining and Agriculture.
- Secondary, Tertiary and Quaternary Activities.
400.00 Transport and Communication
- Transport – Modes of Transport – Land Transport Roads and Railways, Water Transport – Sea- Routes and Shipping Canals, Air Transport, Pipelines.
- Communication - Types – Newspapers, Radio, Television, Satellite and Internet.
500.00 Human Settlements
- Rural Settlements - Location and Types, Urban Settlements, Urban Concept, Urbanization, Urban Issues and Problems.
600.00 Population of India
- Growth, Density and Distribution
- Composition – Sex-Ratio, Literacy, Age Structure, Rural and Urban Population
- Migration – Types, Causes and Consequences
- Human Development
700.00 Land and Water Resources
- Land Use Pattern and Land Capability
- Irrigation – Water Wealth of India and Sources of Irrigation
- Major Multipurpose River Valley Projects – DVC Project, Bhakra-Nangal Project, Hirakud Project, Upper Krishna Project.
- Water Conservation and Management, Watershed Management and Rainwater Harvesting.
- Importance and Types
- New Dimensions of Agriculture – Green Revolution,OrganicFarming,TissueCulture and Horticulture
- Major Crops – Food Crops – Rice and Wheat, Commercial Crops – Sugarcane and Cotton. Plantation Crops – Tea and Coffee.
900.00 Mineral and Power Resources
- Major Minerals – Iron Ore, Manganese, Bauxite and Gold.
- PowerResources-Conventionalpower Resources-Coal, Petroleum, Natural Gas, Electricity – Hydro-electricity, Thermal and Atomic Power.
- Non-Conventional Power Resources – Solar, Wind, Tidal, Bio-gas and Geo-Thermal.
- Conservation and Management.
1000.00 Manufacturing Industries
- Locational Factors
- Industrial Regions of India
- Major Industries – Iron and Steel, Cotton Textile, Sugar, Cement, Aluminium, Petro-Chemical, Automobile and Knowledge-based Industry.
- Effects of Liberalization, Privatization and Globalization (LPG) on Industries.
1100.00 Transport, Communication and Trade
- Land – Roadways, Railways and Pipelines, Waterways – Inland, Ocean and Major Ports, Airways.
- Communication – Mass Communication, Newspapers, Radio, Television and Satellites.
- Trade – Types, Imports and Exports, Direction and Composition.
1200.00 Geographical Perspectives on Environmental Issues – Planning and Sustainable Development
- Environmental Pollution, Types – Water, Air, Noise, Urban Wastes, Disposal, Land Degradation, Deforestation and Urban Slums.
- Planning in India – Concepts, Planning Process and Types.
- Sustainable Development.
1300.00 Representation of Geographical Data
- Sources of Data
- Geographical Representation of Data – Line Graph – Single and Double. Bar Graph (Vertical) – Single and Double
- Spatial Information Technologies – GIS, GPS and Remote Sensing.