Topics with syllabus and resources
1 Basics of Internet
- World Wide Web - History of World Wide Web, difference between Internet and www, search engines.
- Web Servers: What is a server; Server software, Services provided by servers and their types.
- Website: Definition and its difference from portal, Components of website, Construction of website, how to build a website? elements of website, software used to create website.
- Web pages: Definition of webpage, what does it contain? static and dynamic areas, what makes a webpage work?, difference between web page and website.
- Web Browser: Tool bar, SSL, names of various web browsers.
- Blogs- Definition of blog and bloggers, advantages and disadvantages of blogging.
- URL: Definition, elements, absolute and relative URL
- Protocols: Definition, TCP/IP, HTTP, FTP which one to use when and why, applications and examples.
2 Web Service
Concept of web services
- Email: Definition, protocols used in email services, mail account and address, sending and receiving an email, difference between cc and bcc, spam and junk, Email etiquettesproper structure and layout, case sentivity,disclaimer to email, care with abbreviations and emotions, gender sensitivity
- Chat: Definition, chat room, commonly used types of chat.
- Video conferencing : Definition, areas of application, advantages and disadvantages of video conferencing.
- e-learning: Definition, benefits, application areas, e-learning software.
- e-shopping: Definition, advantages and dis-advantages, sites available, threats and security concerns.
- e-reservation: Definition, benefits, application areas, reservation process, live and nonlive reservation
- e-group: Definition, features, benefits.
- Social Networking: Definition, names of various social networking web sites, merits and demerits, service providers, features available, ethics.
3 Introduction to GIMP
- Image editing: Basics of image editing and their features. Various image editing software including freeware and paid software.
- GIMP- Introduction, features and uses of GIMP. Downloading GIMP, GIMP compatible platforms. Creation of new file using shortcut or mouse. Default extension of these files and opening of existing file.
- Saving a file with keyboard or mouse, .xcf and various file formats supported by GIMP. Basics of GIMP window, Understanding main components of GIMP window, Toolbox.
- Toolbox- Explain selection tools, text tools, eraser tools, bucket fill tools, foreground and background.
- Handling of menus in GIMP with its editing features, Image handling by using various selections and paint tools, resizing (scaling) and cropping, editing images for web, Layers.
4 Introduction to HTML
- Introduction and origin of HTML, History of HTML, Advantages of using HTML, Tools to be used, Tags and attributes, Document structure
- Tags and attributes- tags - what are they, tag format, single and multiple tags, empty elements and container elements, Formatting elements.
- Structure of HTML document- HTML, HEAD, TITLE, BODY, Attributes (BACKGROUND, BGCOLOUR, TEXT, LINK, ALINK, VLINK)
- Formatting elements: Font (attributes - colour - <font color> ,</font), size - <font size>
, </font), face), Centre, Break, Horizontal rule, (attributes- size, width, align, no shade,
colour) Headings (H1 to H6), Paragraph ,<p></p> , P ALIGN , Bold<B>, </B>, Italics<I>, </
I>, underline<U>, </U>, <br>, <hr> tag.
5 Introduction to HTML 2
- LISTS- requirement of list in HTML, definition and introduction of LIST<li>, </li>, different
types of lists, unordered or bulleted list <ul> ...</ul>, ordered numbered list <ol>…</ol>,
definition or glossary list<dl> …</dl>, <dt>…</dt>(attribute- type, start)
- Inserting Image, Audio and Video, Image attributes - align, border, alternate label, width and height)
- Audio (attributes - autoplay and controls)
- Video (attributes - height, width, auto buffer, controls)
6 Security Threats and Security Measures
- Virus- definition, types, virus spread, protection, current threats
- Worms- definition, types, spread, protection, current threats
- Trojans- definition, Trojan spread, protection
- Spyware- definition, symptoms, prevention and protection
- Malware- definition, types, prevention
- Spams- definition, detection and prevention
- Hackers and Crackers- definition, tools available, types of hacking, difference between hackers and crackers.
- Antivirus tools- free and paid tools, latest tools, there style of working, importance of regular update
- Data Backup and Recovery tools- Need for backup, technologies and tools available, importance of backup and recovery plan, types of backup.