Topics with syllabus and resources
- Introduction to five streams of Home Science.
- Relevance of study of Home Science and career options.
- Recent trends
- Concept of growth and development
- Principles of growth and development
a) Concept and types of family
b) Role of family in:
- Holistic development of an individual
- Development of value based society
- Importance of girl child
c) Influence of various factors on a family: Globalisation, urbanisation, migration, technology and media.
- Definition of food, nutrition, nutrient, balanced diet and health (WHO)
- Food and its functions (physiological, social and psychological)
- Relationship of food and health
- Eating disorders: Special emphasis on lifestyle problems- Anorexia,bulimia,obesity and their consequences.
- Definition of fibre and yarn.
- Classification of fibre on the basis of origin and length.
- Characteristics of fibres- feel, appearance, colour fastness, length, strength, absorbency, shrinkage, elasticity, effect of heat and sunlight.
- Methods of construction of fabrics -brief description of weaving, knitting and felting.
- Optimum use of resources; water and electricity.
- Waste management - need to refuse, reduce, reuse, repair and recycle wastes.
- Proper disposal of kitchen wastes.
- Schemes and Programmes for Community development: Objectives and Provision of ICDS, SABLA and Jan Dhan Yojna.
1. Observe and analyse the use of technology in your family and discuss with elders the alternatives in former time.
2. Record the daily expenses of your family for a week. Family size. Suggest ways to reduce unnecessary expenditures.
3. Identification and use of kitchen tools and at least any five e.g. Refrigerator Cooling Gas Mixer Grinder Microwave, Smokeless Chullah, Pressure Cooker etc.
4. Weights and Measures: Equivalents/conversions of Ounce, Gram, cup, teaspoon, tablespoon. How to use a kitchen weighing scale.
5. Identification of fruits, vegetables, spices, oils, sugars, cereals and lentils.
6. Prepare sandwiches (at least 2 varieties).
7. Collection and Identification of fabrics: physical and burning tests.
8. Take a case study of a house for disposal of kitchen wastes and encourage segregation of biodegradable and non degradable wastes, through creating slogans / posters etc.
9. File work
10. Viva Voce
- Basic food groups and their functions
- Sources and functions of nutrients- Proteins, Carbohydrates , Fats, Vitamins (A,B,C,D,E) and Minerals (Calcium, Iron and Iodine) & water.
- Conservation and enhancement of nutrients while preparing and cooking food.
- Brief description of methods of cooking: advantages, disadvantages, suitability for foods effect on nutrients (boiling, direct steaming,pressure-cooking, roasting, baking, shallow and deep-frying, solar cooking)
- Elements of art- line, colour, texture and shape
- Principles of design - Balance, Proportion harmony, rythum and emphasis
- Application of elements of art and dress desiging.
- Definition of a consumer.
- Problems faced by consumers.
- Consumer rights and responsibilities
- Communication: i) Concepts ii) Ways to make communication effective
- Characteristics of fabric (Cotton, Wool, Silk, Nylon, Blended fibres)-drape, warmness/ coolness, wrinkle resistance, durability etc.
- Factors affecting selection of fabric: age, purpose occupation, occasion, fashion, figure, climate, comfort and cost.
- Measures of safety against burns, electric shock, and food poisoning.
- Management of emergencies first aid for cuts, fractures, burns, electric shock, poisoning and bites (snake, dog)
1. Type pr 6 from term I
2. Prepare snacks /dishes using different (atleast three) methods of cooking. Evaluate and record taste, texture and colour of prepared dishes/snacks.
3. Prepare an article using elements of art.
4. Prepare and present a skit on any social issue.
5. Evaluate suitability of given fabric, based on factors affecting selection.
6. Practice giving first aid for cuts, burns, bites, fractures and electric shocks.
7. Practice dressings for wounds on hand, elbow, finger, wrist and ankle.
8. File work
9. Viva Voce