Units and Topics
100 Geography as a Discipline
- Geography as an integrating discipline, as a science of spatial attributes.
- Branches of Geography; Physical Geography and Human Geography.
- Scope and Career Options
200 The Earth
- Origin and evolution of the earth; Interior of the earth
- Wegener's continental drift theory and plate tectonics.
- Earthquakes and volcanoes: causes, types and effects
- Rocks: major types of rocks and their characteristics.
- Geomorphic processes: weathering, mass wasting, erosion and deposition; soil-formation
- Landforms and their evolution.
500 Water (Oceans)
- Basics of Oceanography
- Oceans- distribution of temperature and salinity
- Movements of ocean water-waves, tides and currents; submarine reliefs.
- Ocean resources and pollution
600 Life on the Earth
- Biosphere - importance of plants and other organisms; biodiversity and conservation; ecosystem and ecological balance
- Location, space relations, India's place in the world.
- Structure and Relief; Physiographic Divisions.
- Drainage systems: Concept of river basins, Watershed; the Himalayan and the Peninsular rivers
900 Climate, Vegetation and Soil
- Weather and climate - spatial and temporal distribution of temperature, pressure winds and rainfall, Indian monsoon: mechanism, onset and withdrawal, variability of rainfalls: spatial and temporal; use of weather charts; Climatic types (Koeppen)
- Natural vegetation-forest types and distribution; wild life; conservation; biosphere reserves
- Soils - major types (lCAR's classification) and their distribution, soil degradation and conservation.
1000 Natural Hazards and Disasters: Causes, Consequences and Management
- Floods, Cloudbursts
- Droughts: types and impact
- Earthquakes and Tsunami
- Cyclones: features and impact