How far do you agree that the proclamation of emergency weakened the federal distribution of power in India?
Which characteristics made the Congress an ideological coalition during the freedom movement of India?
Explain the circumstances that forced the Tibetans to leave China. Highlight India's role in helping the Tibetan refugees.
In what way do the coalition governments prove to be more democratic than the oneparty governments?
Read the following passage carefully and answer the following questions:
Above all, the linguistic states underlined the acceptance of the principle of diversity. When we say that India adopted democracy, it does not simply mean that India embraced a democratic constitution, nor does it merely mean that India adopted the format of elections. The choice was larger than that. It was a choice in favour of recognising and accepting the existence of differences which could at times be oppositional. Democracy, in other words, was associated with plurality of ideas and ways of life.
- What is meant by 'linguistic states'?
- Why were linguistic states formed in India? Explain any two reasons.
- How is democracy in India associated with plurality of ideas and ways of life?
Read the above passage carefully and answer the following questions:
The Naxalite Movement has used force to snatch land from the rich landowners and give it to the poor and the landless. Its supporters advocated the use of violent means to achieve their political goals. In spite of the use of preventive detention and other strong measures adopted by the West Bengal government..., the Naxalite Movement did not come to an end. In later years, it spread to many other parts of the country.
- Why did Naxalite prefer to use violence?
- Assess the positive role of the Naxalite Movement in spite of using violence?
- Suggest any two measures to contain this movement.
Read the given passage carefully and answer the following questions:
Non-alignment as a strategy evolved in the Cold War context.... with the disintegration of USSR and the end of Cold War in 1991, non-alignment, both, as an international movement and as the core of India's foreign policy, lost some of its earlier relevance and effectiveness.
- Why did India adopt non-alignment?
- Explain any two reasons for the loss of its relevance by the Nan Aligned Movement
- How far do you agree that the Non-Aligned Movement has become an international movement?
Study the cartoon given below carefully and answer the following questions:
i. The given cartoon is related to which country?
ii. Which two symbols in this cartoon helped in identifying the country?
iii. What message does this cartoon convey to the world?
In the given outline map of India, five states have been marked as (A), (B), (D) and (E). Identify them on the basis of the information given below and write their correct names in your answer book with their respective serial number of the information used and the alphabet concerned.
- The State which was carved out of Madhya Pradesh.
- The State which opposed its merger with India after independence.
- The first State of free India having a Communist government.
- The State adjoining Pakistan territory up to 1971.
- The State which became agriculturally prosperous due to Green Revolution.
Describe any three steps taken by the Indian Government to check the environmental degradation.
Which three major developments took place in Indian politics during the last decade of the 20th century? Describe.
Briefly describe the story of Sikkim from the time of India's independence to its merger with India.
Suppose there had been no Cold War, how would that situation have affected India's foreign policy.
If the Soviet Union had not disintegrated and the world had remained bipolar, how would that situation have affected the world politics?
Give any three suitable arguments to support India's candidature for the permanent membership of the U.N. Security Council.
How are the threats faced by the people in the Third World different from those faced by the people living in the First World? Support your answer with examples.